Member, Board of Directors
Editor in Chief, Topics in Antiviral Medicine
Professor of Pathology and Medicine
University of California San Diego
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System
San Diego, California
Dr Richman is a Professor of Pathology and Medicine at the University of California San Diego and Director of the Research Center for AIDS and HIV Infection at the San Diego Veteran's Affairs Medical Center. He is also Director of the Center for AIDS Research and the AIDS Research Institute at UCSD. In addition, he holds the Florence Seeley Riford Chair for AIDS Research. Dr Richman is a founding member of the Board of Directors of the IAS–USA; Vice Chair of its HIV Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, and Editor in Chief of Topics in HIV Medicine.
- Member, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- Vice-Chair, Drug Resistance Mutations Group, IAS–USA
- Member, Antiretroviral Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Member, Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- National Institutes of Health AIDS Vaccine Research Committee
- Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Program Committee
- International Workshop on Drug Resistance and Treatment Strategies: AIDS Vaccine (2001)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Stanford University (1970)
- Lowell Rantz Award in Infectious Diseases, Stanford University (1970)
- AMA Physicians Recognition Award (1976, 1979, 1982)
- Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation (1984–1985)
- Visiting Fellowship, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge (1984–1985)
- Howard Temin Award for Clinical Sciences for Scientific Excellence in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS (1993)
- Dartmouth College, AB Cum Laude (1965)
- Stanford University, MD (1970)
- Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, Postdoctoral (1972–1975)
- Beth Israel and Children's Hospital, Boston, Postdoctoral (1975–1976)
- Larder B, Darby G, Richman DD. HIV with reduced sensitivty to zidovudine isolated during prolonged therapy. Science. 1989;243:1731-1734.
- Richman DD, Havlir D, Corbeil J, et al. Nevirapine resistance mutations of HIV-1 selected during therapy. J Virol. 1994;68:1660-1666.
- Wong JK, Hezareh M, Günthard H, Havlir DV, Ignacio CC, Spina CA, Richman DD. Recovery of replication-competent HIV despite prolonged suppression of plasma viremia. Science. 1997;278:1291-1294.
- Richman DD. HIV chemotherapy. Nature. 2001;410:995-1001.
- Richman DD, Whitley RJ, Hayden FG, editors. Clinical Virology. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2002.
- Little SJ, Holte S, Routy JP, Daar ES, Markowitz M, Collier AC, Koup RA, Mellors JW, Connick E, Conway, B, Kilby M, Wang L, Whitcomb JM, Hellmann NS, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance among patients recently infected with HIV. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:385-394.
- Richman DD, Wrin TL, Little SJ, Petropoulos CJ. Rapid evolution of the neutralizing antibody response to HIV type 1 infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003;100:4144-4149.
- Hirsch MS, Brun-Vezinet F, Clotet B, Conway B, Kuritzkes DR, D'Aquila RT, Demeter LM, Hammer SM, Johnson VA, Loveday C, Mellors JW, Jacobsen DM, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adults infected with with human immunodeficiency virus type 1: 2003 recommendations of an International AIDS Society–USA panel. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:113-128.
- Richman DD, Morton SC, Wrin T, et al. The prevalence of antiretroviral drug resistance in the United States. AIDS. 2004;18:1-7.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society–USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)