Associate Professor of Pediatrics
University of Illinois
Director, Adolescent Medicine Program at the CORE Center (AMaC)
Stroger Hospital of Cook County
- HIV care and general health care issues of adolescents, including growth and development, sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy, contraception, health maintenance, and substance use
Dr Martinez is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Illinois at Chicago and Senior Attending Physician in the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at the John H. Stroger, Jr., Hospital of Cook County, Chicago. He is Director of the Ryan White Part-D funded Adolescent Medicine Program at the Cook County Bureau of Health Sciences CORE Center. Dr Martinez is a member of the Committee on Pediatric AIDS and fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He is also Principal Investigator of the John H. Stroger, Jr., Hospital of Cook County Unit of the Adolescent Medicine Trials Network, a consortium of 17 sites that conducts clinical trials and data collection activities concerning the health of HIV-infected children and adolescents.
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics (1982-present)
- Member, Society for Adolescent Medicine (1984-present)
- Member, Committee on Pediatric AIDS, and Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (2007-present)
- Member, Section on Adolescent Health, American Academy of Pediatrics (2009-present)
- Unsung Hero Award, Hispanic Heritage Month Channel 9-WGN (2005)
- Dr Hilda Lopez Award, Illinois Association of Hispanic State Employees (2005)
- Chicago Mayor's Award of Appreciation for Contribution Made to the City of Chicago (2008)
- Yale University, BS Biology (1976)
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, MD (1981)
- Children's Hospital, Pediatric Residency (1981-1984)
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine (1984-1986)
- Northwestern University and University of Chicago, Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine Research Center for the Study of Adolescence (1990-1992)
- Martinez J, Hosek SG, Carleton RA. Screening and assessing violence and mental health disorders in a cohort of inner city HIV-positive youth between 1998-2006. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2009 Jun;23(6):469-475.
- Wilson EC, Garofalo R, Harris RD, Herrick A, Martinez M, Martinez J, Belzer M. Transgender female youth and sex work: HIV risk and a comparison of life factors related to engagement in sex work. AIDS Behav. 2009 Oct;13(5):902-913.
- Hosek SG, Harper GW, Lemos D, Martinez J. An ecological model of stressors experienced by youth newly diagnosed with HIV. J HIV AIDS Prev Child Youth. 2008;9(2):192-218.
- Henry-Reid LM, Martinez J. Care of the adolescent with HIV. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Jun;51(2):319-328.