International Clinical Virology Centre
- HIV-1 resistance
- HIV-1 subtype diversity
- Basic and clinical science of HIV-1 infection
Professor Loveday is a Clinical Director at the International Clinical Virology Centre. He served as a clinical virologist consultant at the Royal Free Hospital, London, specializing in HIV medicine. He has been head of retrovirology since 1995. In addition, he is the principal investigator for four major European trials, and is the virology co-chair for Eurosida and Initio. Professor Loveday teaches courses in virology to undergraduates and graduates. He has recently been awarded an Honorary Professor of Thames Valley University for significant contributions to health care and health care education throughout his career.
- Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Member, Guidelines Panel of the Euroguidelines group
- MRC UK Virology Committee for the Clinical Trials Unit
- Eurosida Coordinating Committee
- Visiting professor to the Department of Sexual Health, Thames Valley University
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists
- University of East London, BSc Microbiology/Pharmacology (1969)
- University of London, PhD Pathology (1973)
- Middlesex Hospital, University of London, MD Medicine (1980)
- Higher Professional Training East Anglican Faculty, Primary Health Care (1984)
- Royal College of Pathologists, Higher Professional Training in Clinical Virology (1993)
- Katlama C, Ingrand D, Loveday C, Clumeck N, Mallolas J, Staszewski S, Johnson M, Hill AM, Pearce J, McDade H, the Lamivudine European HIV Working Group. Safety and efficacy of 3TC/AZT combination in drug-naive HIV-1 infected patients: a comparison with monotherapy. JAMA.1996;276:118-125.
- Brun-Vezinet F, Boucher C, Loveday C, Descamps D, Fauveau V, Izopet J, Jeffries J, Kaye S, Kryanowski C, Nunn A, Schuurman R, Seigneurin JM, Tamalet C, Tedder R, Weber J, Waverling GJ, the National and Delta Virology Working Groups and Coordinating Committee. HIV-1 viral load. Phenotype and resistance in a subset of drug-naive patients from the Delta trial. Lancet.1997;350:983-990.
- Hirsch MS, Conway B, D'Aquila R, Johnson V, Brun-Vezinet F, Clotet B, Demeter L, Hammer S, Jacobsen D, Kuritzkes D, Loveday C, Mellors J, Vella S, Richman D, for the International AIDS Society–USA Panel. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adults with HIV-1 infection, implications for clinical management. JAMA. 1998;276:1984-1991.
- Phillips AN, McClean AR, Loveday C, Tyrer M, Bofill M, Devereux H, Madge S, Dykoff A, Drinkwater A, Burke A, Huckett L, Janossy G, Johnson M. In vivo replicative capacity in early and advanced infection. AIDS. 1999;13:67-73.
- Delta Coordinating and Virology Committees. HIV-1 RNA response to antiretroviral treatment in 1280 participants in the Delta trial: an extended virology study. AIDS.1999;13:57-66 (Loveday C. Delta writing committee)
- Devereux H, Youle M, Johnson M, Loveday C. Rapid decline in detectability of HIV-1 drug resistance associated mutations when therapy is stopped. AIDS.1999;13:F123-F128.
- Sabin C, Devereux H, Phillips A, Hill A, Janossy G, Lee CA, Loveday C. Course of viral load throughout HIV-1 infection. JAIDS.2000;23:172-177.
- Devereux H, Loveday C, Youle M, Sabin CA, Burke A, Johnson M. Reduction in detection of HIV-1 drug resistance mutations on the initiation of a new therapeutic regimen in pre-treated patients. J Infect Dis.2000;181:1804-1807.
- Devereux H, Loveday C, Youle M, Sabin CA, Burke A, Johnson M. Substantial correlation between HIV drug-associated resistance mutations in plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells in heavily treated patients. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2000;16:1025-1030.
- Hirsch M, Brun-Vezinet F, D'Aquila R, Hammer S, Johnson V, Kuritzkes D, Loveday C, Mellors J, Clotet B, Conway B, Demeter L, Vella S, Jacobsen D, Richman D. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adult HIV-1 infection: recommendations of an International AIDS Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2000;283:2417-2426