Professor of Infectious Diseases
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Head, Laboratorio de Pesquisas em AIDS
Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho
Rio de Janeiro, Ilha do Fundao, Brasil
- Antiretroviral treatment
- Post-exposure prophylaxis
- Natural history of AIDS in developing-country settings
Dr Schechter is a Professor of Infectious Diseases at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro and Head of the AIDS Research Laboratory at the Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho in Brazil. He is also an Associate in the Department of International Health in the School of Hygiene and Public Health at Johns Hopkins University. In addition, he is an Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology in the Graduate School of Public Health at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.
- Member, Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Scientific Advisory Committee, IAVI
- Consensus Panel on Antiretroviral Therapy, Brazil Ministry of Health
- Consensus Panel on Antiretroviral Therapy, World Health Organization
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, MD (1977)
- University of London, MSc, Immunology (1981)
- University of London, PhD, Immunology (1985)
- Santoro-Lopes G, Harrison LH, Tavares MD, Xexéo A, Santos ACE, Schechter M. HIV-disease progression and V3 serotypes in Brazil: is B different from B-Br? AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2000;16:953-958.
- Barroso PF, Schechter M, Gupta P, Melo FM, Vieira M, Murta F, Souza Y, Harrison LH. Effect of antiretroviral therapy on HIV shedding in semen. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:280-284.
- Hofer CB, Harrison LH, Struchiner CJ, Moreira RI, Lago RF, Melo MF, Schechter M. Acute retrovirus syndrome among prospectively identified homosexual males with incident HIV infection in Brazil. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2000;25:188-191.
- Pinho AMF, Santoro-Lopes G, Harrison LH, Schechter M. Chemoprophylaxis for tuberculosis and survival of HIV-infected patients in Brazil. AIDS. 2001;15:2129-2135.
- Santoro-Lopes G, Pinho AMF, Harrison LH, Schechter M. Reduced risk of tuberculosis among patients with advanced HIV infection treated with HAART in a Brazilian cohort. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:543-546.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society-USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)
- Barroso PF, Schechter M, Gupta P, Bressan C, Bonfim A, Harrison LH. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy and persistence of HIV RNA in semen. J AIDS 2003;32:435-440.
- Cook RL, May S, Harrison LH, Moreira RI, Ness RB, Batista S, Bastos M, Schechter M. High prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases in young women seeking HIV testing in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Sex Transm Dis 2004;31:67-72.
- Schechter M, Lago RF, Mendelsohn AB, Moreira RI, Moulton LH, Harrison LH. Behavioral impact, acceptability, and HIV incidence among homosexual men with access to post-exposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;35:519-525.
- Schechter M. Therapy of early HIV infection: How far back should the pendulum swing? J Infect Dis. 2004;190:1043-1045.