Duke Global Health Institute
- HIV prevention interventions and care
- Global and national policy
Dr Merson is the Director of the Duke Global Health Institute. He was previously the Anna M.R. Lauder Professor and Dean of Public Health at Yale University School of Medicine. He was also Director of Yale's Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (CIRA).
- Chairman, State of Connecticut Task Force on HIV Reporting (1998)
- Member, Committee on HIV Prevention Strategies, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences (1999-2000)
- Global HIV Prevention Working Group Member, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (2002)
- Technical Review Support Group Member, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (2002)
- Member, Project Advisory Group, Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation and Ford Foundation, AIDS at 20: A National HIV/AIDS Policy Initiative (2002)
- Arthur S. Flemming Award (1983)
- Commendation Medal, US Public Health Service (1975 and 1986)
- Surgeon General's Exemplary Service Medal (1993)
- Amherst College, BA cum laude (1966)
- State University of New York, Health Science Center at Brooklyn, MD summa cum laude (1970)
- Merson MH, Dayton JM, O'Reilly K. Effectiveness of HIV prevention interventions in developing countries. AIDS.2000;14 Suppl 2:S68-S84.
- Dayton JM, Merson MH. Global dimensions of the AIDS epidemic: implications for prevention and care. Infect Dis Clin North Am.2000;14:791-808.
- Merson MH. Early detection: the next steps. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr.2000;25 Suppl 2:S157-S159.
- Merson MH, Black RE, Mills AJ, eds. International public health: diseases, programs, systems and policies. Gaithersburg, Md: Aspen Publishers, Inc; 2000.
- Merson MH. The search for an AIDS vaccine and an effective global response; shots in the dark: the wayward search for an AIDS vaccine. N Engl J Med.2001;344:1801-1802.
- Hale P, Makgoba MW, Merson MH, Quinn TC, Richman DD, Vella S, Wabwire-Mangen F, Wain-Hobson S, Weiss RA. Mission now possible for AIDS fund. Nature.2001;412:271-272.
- Dayton, JM, Merson MH. The value of early detection of HIV in developing countries. International AIDS Society Newsletter. 2001;19:8-10.
- Merson MH. Curtailing the HIV epidemic: the power of prevention. (Keynote address, Leadership Forum on HIV Prevention. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, The Ford Foundation & The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Preceding the United Nations General Assembly Special Session on AIDS, June 2001.) Topics in HIV Medicine.2001;9:17-20.
- Kaplan EH, Merson MH. Allocating HIV prevention resources: balancing efficiency and equity. Am Jour Publ Health.2002; in press.
- Holtgrave DR, Pinkerton SD, Merson MH. Estimating the cost of unmet HIV-prevention needs in the United States. Am J Prev Med. 2002;23:7-12.