Member, Board of Directors
Professor of Global Health
Rollins School of Public Health
Professor of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
- Epidemiology and treatment of opportunistic infections
- Access to care and antiretrovirals for disadvantaged populations
- Care continuum
- Biomedical HIV prevention
Dr. del Rio is the Hubert Professor and Chair of the Hubert Department of Global Health at the Rollins School of Public Health and the Director for Clinical Science and International Research at the Emory Center for AIDS Research. He is also Director of the Emory AIDS International Training and Research Program.
- Member, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- Member, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on HIV and STD Prevention
- Member, Underrepresented minorities committee of the ACTG
- Member, Board of Directors, HIVMA
- Glaxo-Wellcome Foundation Award for Clinical Research in Mexico
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- James H. Nakano Citation, CDC
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American Clinical and Climatological Association
- Institute of Medicine
- Universidad La Salle, Medical School (1977-1983)
- Emory University School of Medicine, Internal Medicine Residency (1983-1986) (6 months of Junior Assistant Resident year at Johns Hopkins Hospital)
- Emory University School of Medicine, Infectious Disease Fellowship (1986-1988)
- Crawford Long Hospital of Emory University, Chief Resident in Medicine (1988-1989)
- Beard CB, Carter JL, Keely SP, Huang L, Pieniazek NJ, Moura IN, Roberts JM, Hightower AW, Bens MS, Freeman AR, Lee S, Stringer JR, Duchin JS, del Rio C, Rimland D, Baughman RP, Levy DA, Dietz VJ, Simon P, Navin TR. Genetic variation in Pneumocystis carinii isolates from different geographic regions: implications for transmission. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:265-272.
- Huang L, Beard CB, Creasman J, Levy D, Duchin JS, Lee S, Pieniazek N, Carter JL, del Rio C, Rimland D, Navin TR. Sulfa or sulfone prophylaxis and geographic region predict mutations in the Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene. J Infect Dis. 2000;182:1192-1198.
- Bruce BB, Blass MA, Blumberg HM, Lennox JL, del Rio C, Horsburgh CR Jr. Risk of Cryptosporidium parvum transmission between hospital roommates. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:947-950.
- Fox KK, del Rio C, Holmes KK, Hook EW 3rd, Judson FN, Knapp JS, Procop GW, Wang SA, Whittington WL, Levine WC. Gonorrhea in the HIV era: a reversal in trends among men who have sex with men. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:959-964.
- del Rio C, Franco-Paredes C, Duffus W, et al. Routinely recommended HIV testing at an urban urgent-care clinic—Atlanta, Georgia, 2000. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50:538-541.
- Navin TR, Beard CB, Huang L, del Rio C, Lee S, Pieniazek NJ, Carter JL, Le T, Hightower A, Rimland D. Effect of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of P carinii pneumonia in patients with HIV-1: a prospective study. Lancet. 2001;358:545-549.
- Nimri LF, Moura IN, Huang L, del Rio C, Rimland D, Duchin JS, Dotson EM, Beard CB. Genetic diversity of Pneumocystis carinii f. sp. hominis based on variations in nucleotide sequences of internal transcribed spacers of rRNA genes. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:1146-1151.
- Mayer KM, Wang L, Koblin S, Mennheimer S, Magus M, del Rio C, Buchbinder S, Wilton L, Cummings V, Watson C, Piwowar-Manning E, Gaydos C, Eshleman SH, Clarke W, Liu T-Y, Griffith S, Wheeler S for the HPTN 061 Team. Concomitant Socioeconomic, Behavioral, and Biological Factors Associated with the disproportionate HIV infection burden among Black Men who have Sex with Men in 6 US Cities. PLoS ONE 9(1): e87298
- Hodder SL, Justman J, Hughes J, Wang J, Haley D, Adimora AA, del Rio C, Golin CE, Kou I, Rompalo A, Soto-Torres L, Mannheimer SB, Johnson-Lewis L, Eshleman SH, El-Sadr W for the HIV Prevention Trials Network 064 ; the Women’s HIV SeroIncidence Study Team. HIV Acquisition Among Women from Selected Areas of the United States: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158 (1): 10 – 18
- Kirkcaldy RD, Zaidi A, Hook EW, Holmes KH, Soge O, del Rio C, Hall G, Papp J, Bolan G, Weinstock HS. Neisseria gonorrheae Antimicrobial Resistance among Men who Have Sex with Men and Men who have Sex with Women, The Gonococcal Isolate Surveillance Project, 2005 – 2010. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158: 321 – 328
Improving the Management of HIV Disease®: An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Live Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
An Advanced CME Course in HIV Pathogenesis, Antiretrovirals, and Other Selected Issues in HIV Disease Management
Günthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, del Rio C, Eron JJ, Gallant JE, Hoy JF, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Thompson MA, Gandhi RT, Landovitz RJ, Smith DM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults 2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2016.
Marrazzo JM, del Rio C, Holtgrave DR, Cohen MS, Kalichman SC, Mayer KH, Montaner JSG, Wheeler DP, Grant RM, Grinsztejn B, Kumarasamy N, Shoptaw S, Walensky RP, Dabis F, Sugarman J, Benson CA. HIV Prevention in Clinical Care Settings: 2014 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA. 2014.