Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
- HIV and hepatitis B and C virus coinfections
- Prevention of maternal-to-child HIV transmission in Haiti
- Operations research for implementing HIV screening and therapy in resource-poor settings
- HIV and hepatitis C virus coinfection
- HIV and hepatitis B virus coinfection
- Implementation of HIV screening, prevention, and treatment in developing countries
Dr Berggren is an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Previously, she oversaw the Charity Hospital AIDS Ward in New Orleans and has developed a clinical program in HIV and hepatitis B and C virus coinfections. Dr Berggren is also a consultant with MARCH, a Haitian foundation dedicated to preventive health services in rural Haiti.
- Member, HIV Medicine Association
- Member, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Faculty, DELTA AIDS Education and Training Center
- Paul Dudley White Fellow, Harvard Medical School
- Albert Schweitzer Fellow, Harvard Medical School
- Division of AIDS Fellow, NIAID, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Teaching Excellence Award, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Oberlin College, BA, Biology (1984)
- Harvard Medical School, MD (1988)
- Massachussetts General Hospital, Residency in Internal Medicine (1988-1991)
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1991-1994)
- Board-Certified in Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine
- Shiramizu B, Theodore D, Bassett R, Coel M, Sherman KE, Glesby MJ, Chow D, Alston B, Colquhoun D, Merigan TC Jr, Reichman RC, Berggren R, Burning WJ, Brobst S; Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group 5096 Team. Correlation of single photon emission computed tomography parameters as a noninvasive alternative to liver biopsies in assessing liver involvement in the setting of HIV and hepatitis C virus coinfection: a multicenter trial of the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003;33:329-335.
- Jain MK, Skiest DJ, Cloud JW, Jain CL, Burns D, Berggren RE. Changes in mortality related to human immunodeficiency virus infection: comparative analysis of inpatient deaths in 1995 and in 1999-2000. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:1030-1038.
- Curiel TJ, Wei S, Dong H, Alvarez X, Cheng P, Mottram P, Krzysiek R, Knutson KL, Daniel B, Zimmermann MC, David O, Burow M, Gordon A, Dhurandhar N, Myers L, Berggren R, Hemminki A, Alvarez RD, Emilie D, Curiel DT, Chen L, Zou W. Blockade of B7-H1 improves myeloid dendritic cell-mediated antitumor immunity. Nat Med. 2003;9:562-567.
- Diri E, Lipsky PE, Berggren RE. Emergence of systemic lupus erythematosus after initiation of highly active antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:2711-2714.
- Ware AJ, Berggren RA, Taylor WE. Didanosine-induced hepatitis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000;95:2141-2143.
- Vazquez-Torres A, Jones-Carson J, Baumler AJ, Falkow S, Valdivia R, Brown W, Le M, Berggren R, Parks WT, Fang FC. Extraintestinal dissemination of Salmonella by CD18-expressing phagocytes. Nature. 1999;401:804-808.
- Berggren RE, Wunderlich A, Ziegler E, Schleicher M, Duke RC, Looney D, Fang FC. HIV gp120-specific cell-mediated immune responses in mice after oral immunization with recombinant Salmonella. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1995;10:489-495.