Professor of Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases
Miller School of Medicine
University of Miami
- HIV pathogenesis
- HIV molecular biology
- Basic science research in HIV
- Viral etiology of AIDS
Dr Stevenson is Professor of Medicine and Chief of Division of Infectious Diseases at the Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami.
- Chair, Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (2006-present)
- Member and Chair, NIAID AIDS Virology Study Section (1996–1998)
- Editorial Boards, Journal of Virology, Virology, AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, Journal of Human Virology, Journal of General Virology
- Program Committee, National Retrovirus Conference (1997–)
- David T. Purtilo Named Chair, University of Nebraska Medical Center (1993–1995)
- Shipley Lecturer, Harvard Medical School (1999)
- David Freelander Memorial Professor, University of Massachusetts Medical School (1995–)
- Glasgow College of Technology, Glasgow, Scotland, BS (1979)
- University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, PhD (1984)
- Swingler S, Brichacek B, Jacque JM, Ulich C, Zhou J, Stevenson M. HIV-1 Nef intersects the macrophage CD40L signalling pathway to promote resting-cell infection. Nature. 2003;424:213-219.
- Stevenson M. HIV-1 pathogenesis. Nat Med. 2003;9:853-860.
- Somasundaran M, Sharkey M, Brichacek B, Luzuriaga K, Emerman M, Sullivan JL, Stevenson M. Evidence for a cytopathogenicity determinant in HIV-1 Vpr. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9503-9508.
- Jacque JM, Triques K, Stevenson M. Modulation of HIV-1 replication by RNA interference. Nature. 2002;418:435-438.
- Jacqué JM, Mann A, Sharova N, Brichacek B, Enslen H, Davis RJ, Stevenson M. Modulation of HIV-1 infectivity by MAPK, a virion-associated kinase. EMBO J. 1998;17:2607-2618.
- Bukrinskaya AG, Brichacek B, Mann A, Stevenson M. Establishment of a functional reverse transcription complex during HIV-1 entry involves the host cell cytoskeleton. J Exp Med. 1998;188:2113-2125.
- Hirsch VM, Sharkey ME, Brown CR, Brichacek B, Goldstein S, Wakefield J, Byrum R, Elkins WR, Hahn BH, Lifson JD, Stevenson M. Vpx is required for dissemination and pathogenesis of SIVSM PBj: evidence for macrophage-dependent viral amplification. Nat Med. 1998;4:1401-1408.
- Swingler S, Mann A, Jacqué JM, Brichacek B, Sasseville VG, Williams K, Lackner AA, Janoff EN, Wang R, Fisher D, Stevenson M. HIV-1 Nef mediates lymphocyte chemotaxis and activation by infected macrophages. Nat Med. 1999;5:997-1003.
- Dupont S, Sharova N, DeHoratius C, Virbastus C-MA, Zhu X, Bukrinskaya AG, Stevenson M, Green MR. A novel nuclear export activity in HIV-1 matrix protein required for viral replication. Nature. 1999;402:681-685.
- Sharkey M, Teo I, Greenough T, Sharova N, Luzuriaga K, Sullivan JL, Bucy RP, Kostrikis LG, Haase A, Veryard C, Davaro RE, Cheeseman SH, Daly JS, Bova C, Ellison RT III, Mady B, Lai KK, Moyle G, Nelson M, Gazzard B, Shaunak S, Stevenson M. Persistence of episomal HIV-1 infection intermediates in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Nat Med. 2000;6:76-81.