Chief of Service
El Rio Special Immunology Associates
Topics of Professional Interest:
- Primary care of HIV-infected persons
- US-Mexico border HIV issues
- HIV workforce
- Ryan White Program and healthcare reform
- HIV Medical Home program
Current Professional Summary:
Dr Carmichael is Chief of Service at El Rio Special Immunology Associates in Tucson, Arizona. He is currently the Co-chair of the Ryan White Medical Providers Coalition.
Committees and Organizations:
- HIVMA Board of Directors 2011-present
- Arizona AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Formulary Advisory Committee (2003–present)
- Member, Program Planning Committee and Core Faculty, IAS–USA (1999–present)
- Co-chair, Ryan White Medical Providers Coalition (2009–2012)
- Member, Institute of Medicine Committee on HIV Screening and Access to Care (2009–2010)
- American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM) – HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA) Joint Medical Workforce Working Group (2009–2010)
- Consultant to the Board of Directors, Tucson Interfaith HIV/AIDS Network (1998–present)
- Member, AIDS Advisory Committee, Arizona Healthcare Cost Containment System (1997–2002)
- Member, HIV/AIDS Committee, Infectious Diseases Society of America (1998–2001)
Honors and Awards:
- "Top Doc" Best Doctors in Tucson Lifestyle Magazine (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010)
- League of United Latin American Citizens State Community Service Award (2005)
- TheBody.com HIV Outstanding Physician Award (2005)
- Wingspan Community Ally Award (2004)
- Carondolet Community Trust Mission Award for Physician Commitment (2000)
- TORCH Award for Medical Advocacy, Tucson Organizations Recognizing Community Help (1991 and 1994)
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, University of Miami (1986)
- Pennsylvania State University, MS (1981)
- University of Miami School of Medicine, MD (1986)
- Valley Medical Hospital, Internship in Family Medicine (1986–1987)
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, Residency in Family and Community Medicine (1987–1989)
- Carmichael JK, Deckard DT, Feinberg J, et al. Averting a Crisis in HIV Care: A Joint Statement of the American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM) and the HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA) On the HIV Medical Workforce. June 2009.
- Carmichael JK. Coccidioidomycosis in HIV-infected persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:1059.
- Young B, Carmichael JK, Johnson D, Mills T. PA update: DHHS guidelines for the treatment of HIV infection. JAAPA. 2006;Suppl:3-13.
- Carmichael JK. Funding of HIV Care: A Clinician’s Perspective. Journal of Timely and Appropriate Care of People with HIV Disease. 2004;1: 27-28.
- Carmichael JK. Lila Falling. J Am Board Fam Med. 2000;13:80.