Professor of Medicine, Emeritus
Northwestern University Medical School
Topics of Professional Interest:
- HIV/AIDS epidemiology
- HIV/AIDS therapy
Current Professional Summary:
Dr Phair is Principle Investigator of the Chicago Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS) and an Attending Physician at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Committees and Organizations:
- Chair, Executive Advisory Committee, Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (1985-)
- Chair, Executive Committee, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) (1990-1994)
- Chair, AIDS Advisory Research Committee (1998-2002)
- Member, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) (1998-2002)
- Chair, Policy and Data Monitoring Committee, Studies of Ocular Complications of AIDS (1998-)
- Yale University, BA (1956)
- University of Cincinnati, MD (1960)
- Yale University, Residency in Internal Medicine (1960-1962, 1964-1965)
- United States Public Health Service (1962-1964)
- Yale University, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1965-1967)
- Hammer SM, Katzenstein DA, Hughes MD, Gundacker H, Schooley RT, Haubrich RH, Henry WK, Lederman MM, Phair JP, Niu M, Hirsch MS, Merigan TC, for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study 175 Study Team. A trial comparing nucleoside monotherapy with combination therapy in HIV-infected adults with CD4+ cell counts from 200 to 500 per cubic millimeter. N Engl J of Med. 1996;335:1081-1096.
- Phair JP, Margolick JB, Jacobson LP, Phillips J, Rinaldo C, Kaslow R, Chu C, Giorgi JV, Henrard D. Detection of infections with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 before seroconversion: correlation with clinical symptoms and outcome. J Infect Dis. 1997;175:959-962.
- Mellors JW, Muñoz A, Giorgi JV, Margolick JB, Tassoni CJ, Gupta P, Kingsley LA, Todd JA, Saah AJ, Detels R, Phair JP, Rinaldo CR. Plasma viral load and CD4+ lymphocytes as prognostic markers of HIV-1 infection. Ann Intern Med. 1997;126:946-954.
- Spino C, Kahn JO, Dolin R, Phair JP. Predictors of survival in HIV-infected person with 50 or fewer CD4 cell/mm³. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1997;15:346-355.
- Winkler C, Modi W, Smith MW, Nelson GW, Wu X, Carrington M, Dean M, Honjo T, Tashiro K, Yabe D, Buchbinder, Vittinghoff E, Goedert JJ, O'Brien TR, Willoughby A, Gomperts E, Vlahov D, Phair JP. ALIVE Study. Hemophilia Growth and Development Study (HGDS), Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS), Multicenter Hemophilia Cohort Study (MHCS), San Francisco City Cohort (SFCC), Stephen J. O'Brien. Genetic restriction of AIDS pathogenesis by an SDF-1 chemokine gene variant. Science. 1998;270:389-393.
- Zhang L, He T, Huang Y, Chen Z, Guo Y, Wu S, Kunstman KJ, Brown RC, Phair JP, Neuman AU, Ho DD, Wolinsky SM. Chemokine coreceptor usage by diverse primary isolates of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J Virol. 1998;72:9307-9312.
- Giorgi JV, Hultin LE, McKeating JA, Johnson TD, Shih R, Lewis J, Wiley DJ, Phair JP, Wolinsky SM, Detels R. Shorter survival in advanced human immunodeficiency virus type-1 infection is more closely associated with T-lymphocyte activation than with plasma virus burden or virus chemokine co-receptor usage. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:859-870.
- Furtado MR, Callway DS, Phair JP, Kunstman KJ, Stanton JL, Macken CA, Perelson AS, Wolinsky SM. Persistence of HIV-1 transcription in peripheral-blood mononuclear cells in patients receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:1614-1622.
- Gao X, Nelson GW, Karacki P, Martin MP, Phair J, Kaslow R, Goedert JJ, Buchbinder S, Hoots K, Vlahov D, O'Brien SJ, Carrington M. Effect of a single amino acid change in MHC class I molecules on the rate of progression to AIDS. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1668-1675.
- Landay AL, Bettendorf D, Chan E, Spritzler J, Schmitz JL, Bucy RP, Gonzalez CJ, Schnizlein-Bick CT, Evans T, Squires KE, Phair JP. Evidence of immune reconstitution in antiretroviral drug-experienced patients with advanced HIV disease. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2002; 18:95-102.