George Baehr Professor of Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases
ICAHN School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
New York, New York
Committees and Organizations
- Past Chair, HIV Medicine Association
- Executive Board Member , HIV Medicine Association and liaison to Board for Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Past Chair, New York State AIDS Institute Medical Care Committee
- Co-Chair of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), AMA, HRSA, HIVMA Consortium of HIV Performance Measures
- American Society for Microbiology Microbe Planning Committee Member
Honors and Awards
- Linda Lauberstein Award for Clinical Excellence, NY State Dept of Health/AIDS Institute (2008)
- Constance B. Wofsy Women’s Health Investigator Award, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (2006)
- AIDS Foundation of St. Louis: Red Ribbon Award (2004)
- John Carey Young Investigator Award, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (2000)
- Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, MD (1990)
- Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation, Internal Medicine Residency (1990-1993); Chief Medical Resident (1993-1994)
- Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases, Fellow (1994-1996)
- Teixeira A, Yen B, Gusella GL, Thomas AG, Mullen MP, Aberg J, Chen X, Hoshida Y, van Bakel H, Schadt E, Basler CF, García-Sastre A, Mosoian A. Prothymosin α Variants Isolated From CD8+ T Cells and Cervicovaginal Fluid Suppress HIV-1 Replication Through Type I Interferon Induction. J Infect Dis. 2015 May 1;211(9):1467-75
- Phelan, Joan A; Abrams, William R; Norman, Robert G; Li, Yihong; Laverty, Maura; Corby, Patricia M; Nembhard, Jason; Neri, Dinah; Barber, Cheryl A; Aberg, Judith A; Fisch, Gene S; Poles, Michael A; Malamud, Daniel. ‘Design Aspects of a Case-Control Clinical Investigation of the Effect of HIV on Oral and Gastrointestinal Soluble Innate Factors and Microbes’. PLoS one. 2014; 9(11): Nov 19;9(11):e112901 (PMC 4237510)
- Myerson M, Malvestutto C and Aberg JA. Management of lipid disorders in patients living with HIV. J Clin Pharmacol 2015 Sep;55(9):957-74
- Shiboski CH, Chen H, Secours R, Lee A, Webster-Cyriaque J, Ghannoum M, Evans S, Bernard D, Reznik D, Dittmer DP, Hosey L, Sévère P, Aberg JA. High Accuracy of Common HIV-Related Oral Disease Diagnoses by Non-Oral Health Specialists in the AIDS Clinical Trial Group. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 6;10(7):e0131001 (PMC4492974
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Ghanem KG, Emmanuel P, Zingman BS, Horberg MA. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with HIV: 2013 update by the HIV medicine association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Jan;58(1):1-10
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Ghanem KG, Emmanuel P, Zingman BS, Horberg MA. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with HIV: 2013 update by the HIV medicine association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Jan;58(1):e1-34.
- Kang M, Hollabaugh K, Pham V, Koletar SL, Wu K, Smurzynski M, Aberg JA. Virologic and Serologic Outcomes of Mono vs. Dual HBV Therapy and Characterization of HIV/HBV Coinfection in a US Cohort. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;66(2):172-80
- Kojic EM, Kang M, Cespedes MS, Umbleja T, Godfrey C, Allen RT, Firnhaber C, Grinsztejn B, Palefsky JM, Webster-Cyriaque JY, Saah A, Aberg JA, Cu-Uvin S. Immunogenicity and Safety of a Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in HIV-1-Infected Women. Clin Infect Dis. 2014: 1;59(1):127-35. (PMC4305143)
- Gallagher T, Link L, Ramos M, Bottger E, Aberg J, Daskalakis D. Self-Perception of HIV Risk and Candidacy for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Among Men Who Have Sex with Men Testing for HIV at Commercial Sex Venues in New York City. LGBT Health 2014;1(3):1-7
- Jacobson JM, Wang H, Bordi R, Zheng L, Gross BH, Landay AL, Spritzler J, Routy JP, Benson C, Aberg J, Tebas P, Haas DW, Tiu J, Coughlin K, Purdue L, Sekaly RP; AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) A5212 Protocol Team. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Palifermin (Recombinant Human Keratinocyte Growth Factor) for the Treatment of Inadequate CD4+ T-Lymphocyte Recovery in Patients with HIV-1 Infection on Antiretroviral Therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;66(4):399-406
- Mercer F, Khaitan A, Kozhaya L, Aberg JA, Unutmaz D. Differentiation of IL-17-Producing Effector and Regulatory Human T Cells from Lineage-Committed Naive Precursors. J Immunol. 2014; 193(3):1047-54
- Günthard HFG, Aberg JA, Eron JJ, Hoy JF, Telenti A, Benson CA, Burger DM, Cahn P, Gallant JE, Glesby MJ, Reiss P, Saag MS, Thomas DL, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Treatment of Adult HIV-1 Infection 2014 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA 2014;312(4):410-25
- Malvestutto CD, Ma Q, Morse GD, Underberg JA, Aberg JA. Lack of pharmacokinetic interactions between Pitavastatin and Efavirenz or Darunavir/Ritonavir. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014; 67(4):390-6
- Fichtenbaum CJ, Yeh TM, Evans SR, Aberg JA. Treatment with pravastatin and fenofibrate improves atherogenic lipid profiles but not inflammatory markers in ACTG 5087. J Clin Lipidol. 2010;4:279-287.
- Flexner C, Tierney C, Gross R, et al. Comparison of once-daily versus twice-daily combination antiretroviral therapy in treatment-naive patients: results of AIDS clinical trials group (ACTG) A5073, a 48-week randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1041-1052.
- Horberg MA, Aberg JA, Cheever LW, Renner P, O’Brien Kaleba E, Asch SM. Development of national and multiagency HIV care quality measures. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:732-738.
- Malvestutto CD, Aberg JA. Coronary heart disease in people infected with HIV. Cleve Clin J Med. 2010;77:547-556.
- Markowitz M, Vaida F, Hare CB, et al. The virologic and immunologic effects of cyclosporine as an adjunct to antiretroviral therapy in patients treated during acute and early HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 2010;201:1298-1302.
- McComsey GA, Walker UA, Budhathoki CB, et al. Uridine supplementation in the treatment of HIV lipoatrophy: results of ACTG 5229. AIDS. 2010;24:2507-2515.
- Overton ET, Kang M, Peters MG, et al. Immune response to hepatitis B vaccine in HIV-infected subjects using granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) as a vaccine adjuvant: ACTG study 5220. Vaccine. 2010;28:5597-5604.
- Thompson MA, Aberg JA, Cahn P, et al. Antiretroviral treatment of adult HIV infection: 2010 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA panel. JAMA. 2010;304:321-333.
- Tungsiripat M, Kitch D, Glesby MJ, et al. A pilot study to determine the impact on dyslipidemia of adding tenofovir to stable background antiretroviral therapy: ACTG 5206. AIDS. 2010;24:1781-1784.
- Aberg JA. Cardiovascular complications in HIV management: past, present, and future. JAIDS. 2009;50:54-64.
- Aberg JA. Lipid management in patients who have HIV and are receiving HIV therapy. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2009;38:207-222.
- Aberg JA, Kaplan JE, Libman H, et al. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:651-681.
- Daskalakis D, Silvera R, Bernstein K, et al. Implementation of HIV testing at 2 New York City bathhouses: from pilot to clinical service. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:1609-1616.
- Lubinski C, Aberg J, Bardeguez AD, et al. HIV policy: the path forward–a joint position paper of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American College of Physicians. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:1335-1344.
- Tsibris AM, Paredes R, Chadburn A, et al. Lymphoma diagnosis and plasma Epstein-Barr virus load during vicriviroc therapy: results of the AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5211. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:642-649.