Professor of Global Health
Rollins School of Public Health
Professor of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Committees and Organizations
- Member, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- Member, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on HIV and STD Prevention
- Member, Underrepresented minorities committee of the ACTG
- Member, Board of Directors, HIVMA
Honors and Awards
- Glaxo-Wellcome Foundation Award for Clinical Research in Mexico
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- James H. Nakano Citation, CDC
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American Clinical and Climatological Association
- Institute of Medicine
- Universidad La Salle, Medical School (1977-1983)
- Emory University School of Medicine, Internal Medicine Residency (1983-1986) (6 months of Junior Assistant Resident year at Johns Hopkins Hospital)
- Emory University School of Medicine, Infectious Disease Fellowship (1986-1988)
- Crawford Long Hospital of Emory University, Chief Resident in Medicine (1988-1989)
- Beard CB, Carter JL, Keely SP, Huang L, Pieniazek NJ, Moura IN, Roberts JM, Hightower AW, Bens MS, Freeman AR, Lee S, Stringer JR, Duchin JS, del Rio C, Rimland D, Baughman RP, Levy DA, Dietz VJ, Simon P, Navin TR. Genetic variation in Pneumocystis carinii isolates from different geographic regions: implications for transmission. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:265-272.
- Huang L, Beard CB, Creasman J, Levy D, Duchin JS, Lee S, Pieniazek N, Carter JL, del Rio C, Rimland D, Navin TR. Sulfa or sulfone prophylaxis and geographic region predict mutations in the Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene. J Infect Dis. 2000;182:1192-1198.
- Bruce BB, Blass MA, Blumberg HM, Lennox JL, del Rio C, Horsburgh CR Jr. Risk of Cryptosporidium parvum transmission between hospital roommates. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:947-950.
- Fox KK, del Rio C, Holmes KK, Hook EW 3rd, Judson FN, Knapp JS, Procop GW, Wang SA, Whittington WL, Levine WC. Gonorrhea in the HIV era: a reversal in trends among men who have sex with men. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:959-964.
- del Rio C, Franco-Paredes C, Duffus W, et al. Routinely recommended HIV testing at an urban urgent-care clinic—Atlanta, Georgia, 2000. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50:538-541.
- Navin TR, Beard CB, Huang L, del Rio C, Lee S, Pieniazek NJ, Carter JL, Le T, Hightower A, Rimland D. Effect of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of P cariniipneumonia in patients with HIV-1: a prospective study. Lancet. 2001;358:545-549.
- Nimri LF, Moura IN, Huang L, del Rio C, Rimland D, Duchin JS, Dotson EM, Beard CB. Genetic diversity of Pneumocystis carinii f. sp. hominisbased on variations in nucleotide sequences of internal transcribed spacers of rRNA genes. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:1146-1151.
- Mayer KM, Wang L, Koblin S, Mennheimer S, Magus M, del Rio C, Buchbinder S, Wilton L, Cummings V, Watson C, Piwowar-Manning E, Gaydos C, Eshleman SH, Clarke W, Liu T-Y, Griffith S, Wheeler S for the HPTN 061 Team. Concomitant Socioeconomic, Behavioral, and Biological Factors Associated with the disproportionate HIV infection burden among Black Men who have Sex with Men in 6 US Cities. PLoS ONE 9(1): e87298
- Hodder SL, Justman J, Hughes J, Wang J, Haley D, Adimora AA, del Rio C, Golin CE, Kou I, Rompalo A, Soto-Torres L, Mannheimer SB, Johnson-Lewis L, Eshleman SH, El-Sadr W for the HIV Prevention Trials Network 064 ; the Women’s HIV SeroIncidence Study Team. HIV Acquisition Among Women from Selected Areas of the United States: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158 (1): 10 – 18
- Kirkcaldy RD, Zaidi A, Hook EW, Holmes KH, Soge O, del Rio C, Hall G, Papp J, Bolan G, Weinstock HS. Neisseria gonorrheae Antimicrobial Resistance among Men who Have Sex with Men and Men who have Sex with Women, The Gonococcal Isolate Surveillance Project, 2005 – 2010. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158: 321 – 328