Professor of Medicine, Pharmacology, and International Health
Deputy Director, Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
Associate Director, Graduate Training Program in Clinical Investigation
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Committees and Organizations
- ASCPT Representative, American College of Physicians, Council of Medical Specialties (1997–1999)
- American Federation for Medical Research—Medical School Representative (1995–present); President, Eastern Section (1998–2000); National Council (1998–2002) President-Elect (1999–2000); President (2000–2001)
- Secretary-Treasurer, American Federation for Medical Research Foundation (1999–2000)
Honors and Awards
- Denison Research Scholar, The Johns Hopkins University (1980–1981)
- Faculty Career Development Award in Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association Foundation (1990–1993)
- Leon I. Goldberg Young Investigator Award, American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (1994)
- Professor’s Award for Pre-Clinical Teaching, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2000)
- Stanford University, BS in Biology, with Honors (1978)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD (1982)
- Stanford University Hospital, Internship, Internal Medicine (1982–1983)
- Stanford University Hospital, Residency, Internal Medicine (1983–1985)
- Flexner C. Dual protease inhibitor therapy in HIV-infected patients: pharmacologic rationale and clinical benefits. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2000;40:649-674.
- Hendrix CW, Flexner C, MacFarland RT, Giandomenico C, Fuchs EJ, Redpath E, Bridger G, Henson GW. Pharmacokinetics and safety of AMD-3100, a novel antagonist of the CXCR-4 chemokine receptor, in human volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:1667-1673.
- Raines CP, Flexner C, Sun E, Heath-Chiozzi M, Lewis RH, Fields C, Deetz C, Apuzzo L, Eshleman SH, Jackson JB, Gallant JE. Safety, tolerability, and antiretroviral effects of ritonavir-nelfinavir combination therapy administered for 48 weeks. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2000;25:322-328.
- Dowell P, Flexner C, Kwiterovich PO, Lane MD. Suppression of preadipocyte differentiation and promotion of adipocyte death by HIV protease inhibitors. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:41325-41332.
- Speck RR, Yu XF, Hildreth J, Flexner C. Differential effects of p-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance protein-1 on productive human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:332-340.
- Lu JF, Blaschke TF, Flexner C, Rosenkranz SL, Sheiner LB; AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 378 Investigators. Model-based analysis of the pharmacokinetic interactions between ritonavir, nelfinavir, and saquinavir after simultaneous and staggered oral administration. Drug Metab Dispos. 2002;30:1455-1461.
- Kresina TF, Flexner CW, Sinclair J, Correia MA, Stapleton JT, Adeniyi-Jones S, Cargill V, Cheever LW. Alcohol use and HIV pharmacotherapy. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2002;18:757-770.
- Hamzeh FM, Benson C, Gerber J, Currier J, McCrea J, Deutsch P, Ruan P, Wu H, Lee J, Flexner C; AIDS Clinical Trials Group 365 Study Team. Steady-state pharmacokinetic interaction of modified-dose indinavir and rifabutin. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003;73:159-169.
- Washington CB, Flexner C, Sheiner LB, Rosenkranz SL, Segal Y, Aberg JA, Blaschke TF; AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol (ACTG 378) Study Team. Effect of simultaneous versus staggered dosing on pharmacokinetic interactions of protease inhibitors. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003;73:406-416.
- Rufo PA, Lin PW, Andrade A, Jiang L, Rameh L, Flexner C, Alper SL, Lencer WI. Diarrhea-associated HIV-1 APIs potentiate muscarinic activation of Cl- secretion by T84 cells via prolongation of cytosolic Ca2+ signaling. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C998-C1008.
- Hendrix CW, Collier AC, Lederman MM, Schols D, Pollard RB, Brown S, Jackson JB, Coombs RW, Glesby MJ, Flexner CW, Bridger GJ, Badel K, MacFarland RT, Henson GW, Calandra G, for the AMD3100 Study Group. Safety, pharmacokinetics, and antiviral activity of AMD3100, a selective CXCR4 receptor inhibitor, in HIV-1 infection. J Acq Immunodef Syndr. 2004;37:1253-1262.