Professor, Department of Medicine
Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology
Harborview Medical Center
University of Washington
Committees and Organizations
- Consultant, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, STD Treatment Guidelines
- Member, DSMBs for Randomized Trial of Male Circumcision: HIV, STD and Behavioral Effects and Community-based Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV Prevention: Thailand and Africa
Honors and Awards
- University of Pennsylvania National Health Care Management Center Award
- SmithKline Beckman Medical Perspectives Fellowship
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of California, San Francisco
- Stanford University, BA in human biology
- University of California, San Francisco, MD
- University of Washington, MPH
- University of California, San Francisco, Residency in Internal Medicine
- University of Washington, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program
- University of Washington, Senior Fellow, Infectious Diseases
- Celum CL, Buchbinder SP, Donnell D, Douglas JM, Jr., Mayer K, Koblin BA, Marmor M, Bozeman S, Grant RM, Flores J, Sheppard HW. Early human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in the HIV Network for Prevention Trials Vaccine Preparedness Cohort: risk behaviors, symptoms, and early plasma and genital tract virus load. J Infect Dis.2001;183:23-35.
- Krone MR, Tabet SR, Paradise MA, Wald A, Corey L, Celum CL. Herpes simplex virus shedding among human immunodeficiency virus-negative men who have sex with men: site and frequency of shedding. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:978-82.
- Sheppard HW, Celum CL, Michael NL, O’Brien S, Dean M, Carrington M, Dondero D, Buchbinder SP. HIV-1 infection in individuals with the CCR5-delta32/delta32 genotype: acquisition of syncytium-inducing virus at seroconversion. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002;29:307-313.
- Casper C, Wald A, Pauk J, Tabet SR, Corey L, Celum CL. Correlates of prevalent and incident Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection in men who have sex with men. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:990-993.
- Whittington WLH, Collis TK, Dithmer-Schreck D, Handsfield HH, Shalit P, Wood RW, Holmes KK, Celum CL. Sexually-transmitted diseases and human immunodeficiency virus-discordant partnerships among men who have sex with men. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:1010-1017.
- Renzi C, Douglas JM, Jr., Foster M, Critchlow CW, Ashley RL, Buchbinder SP, Judson FN, Mayer KH, Koblin BA, Celum CL. Herpes simplex virus type 2 infection as a risk factor for human immunodeficiency virus acquisition among men who have sex with men. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:19-25.
- Corey L, Wald A, Celum CL, Quinn TC. The effects of herpes simplex virus-2 on HIV-1 acquisition and transmission: a review of two overlapping epidemics. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;35:435-445.
- Zuckerman RA, Whittington WLH, Celum CL, Collis TK, Lucchetti AJ, Sanchez JL, Hughes JP, Sanchez JL, Coombs RW. Higher concentration of human immunodeficiency virus RNA in rectal mucosa secretions than blood and seminal plasma among men who have sex with men independent of antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis.2004;189:156-161.
- Lee D, Graham BS, Chiu Y-L, Gilbert PB, McElrath MJ, Belshe RB, Buchbinder SP, Sheppard HW, Koblin BA, Mayer KH, Keefer MC, Mulligan MJ, Celum CL. Breakthrough infections during phase 1 and 2 prime-boost HIV-1 vaccine trials with canarypox vectors (ALVAC) and booster dose of recombinant gp120 or gp160. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:903-907.
- Sagar M, Kirkegaard E, Long EM, Celum CL, Buchbinder SP, Daar ES, Overbaugh JM. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) diversity at time of infection is not restricted to c ertain risk groups or specific HIV-1 subtypes. J Virol. 2004;78:7279-7283.