Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
Site Leader, AIDS Clinical Trials Unit at Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Director, NC AIDS Training and EducationCenter (ATEC)
Co-Director, HIV Services for the NC Department of Correction
Committees and Organizations
- Member, DHHS Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines For Adults and Adolescents
- Member, NC AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Advisory Panel
Honors and Awards
- John Carey Young Investigator Award, ACTG (2000)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Boston University, BA (1986)
- Touro College Biomedical Education, BS (1988)
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, MD (1991)
- Duke University, Residency (1994)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Fellowship (1997)
Sax PE, DeJesus E, Mills A, Zolopa A, Cohen C, Wohl D, Gallant JE, Liu HC, Zhong L, Yale K, White K, Kearney BP, Szwarcberg J, Quirk E, Cheng AK; GS-US-236-0102 study team. Co-formulated elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, and tenofovir versus co-formulated efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial, analysis of results after 48 weeks. Lancet. 2012 Jun 30;379(9835):2439-48.
Wohl DA, Scheyett A, Golin CE, White B, Matuszewski J, Bowling M, Smith P, Duffin F, Rosen D, Kaplan A, Earp J. Intensive Case Management Before and After Prison Release is No More Effective Than Comprehensive Pre-Release Discharge Planning in Linking HIV-Infected Prisoners to Care: A Randomized Trial. AIDS Behav. 2010 Nov 2
Wohl DA, Khan M, Moseley C, Norcott K, Duncan J, Kaplan A and Weir S. Locating the Places People Meet New Sexual Partners in a Southern US City to Inform HIV/STI Prevention and Testing Efforts. AIDS and Behavior, 2010 Jul 8
*Rosen DL, Schoenbach VJ, Wohl DA, et al. An evaluation of HIV testing among inmates in the North Carolina prison system. Am J Public Health. 2009 Oct;99 Suppl 2:S452-9.
Wohl, DA, Kendall M, Andersen J, et al. Low Rate of CMV End-Organ Disease in HIV-Infected Patients Despite Low CD4+ Cell Counts and CMV Viremia: Results of ACTG Protocol A5030. HIV Clin Trials. 2009 May-Jun;10(3):143-52
Wohl DA, Brown TT. Management of morphologic changes associated with antiretroviral use in HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Sep 1;49 Suppl 2:S93-S100.
Wohl DA, Waters D, Simpson RJ, et al. Ezetimibe Alone Reduces Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in HIV-Infected Patients Receiving Combination Antiretroviral Therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47(8):1105-8.
Hsue PY, Squires K, Bolger AF, Capili B, Mensah GA, Temesgen Z, Wanke CA and Wohl DA. Screening and assessment of coronary heart disease in HIV-infected patients.Circulation. 2008 Jul 8;118(2):e41-7
Wohl D, Scherzer R, Heymsfield S, et al. The associations of regional adipose tissue with lipid and lipoprotein levels in HIV-infected men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 1;48(1):44-52
McComsey GA, Kendall MA, Tebas P, Swindells S, Hogg E, Alston-Smith B, Suckow C, Gopalakrishnan G, Benson C, andWohl DA. Alendronate with calcium and vitamin D supplementation is safe and effective for the treatment of decreased bone mineral density in HIV. AIDS. 2007 Nov 30;21(18):2473-82.
Hultman CS, McPhail LE, Donaldson JH and Wohl DA.Surgical management of HIV-associated lipodystrophy: role of ultrasonic-assisted liposuction and suction-assisted lipectomy in the treatment of lipohypertrophy. Ann Plast Surg. 2007 Mar;58(3):255-63.
Wohl DA, McComsey G, Tebas P, et al. Current concepts in the diagnosis and management of metabolic complications of HIV infection and its therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Sep 1;43(5):645-53.
Wohl DA, Tien HC, Busby M, et al. Randomized study of the safety and efficacy of fish oil (omega-3 Fatty Acid) supplementation with dietary and exercise counseling for the treatment of antiretroviral therapy-associated hypertriglyceridemia. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Nov 15;41(10):1498-504.
Wohl DA, Stephenson BL, Golin CE, et al. Adherence to Directly Observed Antiretroviral Therapy Among HIV-Infected Prison Inmates. Clin Infect Dis 2003 Jun 15;36:1572-1576
- Wohl, DA, Aweeka F, Schmitz J, et al. The Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Immunologic Effects of Thalidomide in Patients with HIV Infection: ACTG 267, J Infec Dis. 2002;185:1359-1363
- Jacobson JM, Greenspan JS, Spritzler J, Ketter N, Fahey JL, Jackson JB, Fox L, Chernoff M, Wu AW, MacPhail LA, Vasquez GJ, and Wohl DA. Thalidomide for the Treatment of Oral Aphthous Ulcers in Patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. N Engl J Med, 1997 May 22;336(21):1487-93.