Editor in Chief, Topics in Antiviral Medicine IAS–USA
VA San Diego Healthcare System and University of California San Diego
Distinguished Professor of Pathology and Medicine (Active Emeritus)
Director, The HIV Institute
Co-Director, San Diego Center for AIDS Research
Florence Seeley Riford Chair in AIDS Research (Emeritus)
La Jolla, California
Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Stanford University (1970)
- Lowell Rantz Award in Infectious Diseases, Stanford University (1970)
- AMA Physicians Recognition Award (1976, 1979, 1982)
- Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation (1984–1985)
- Visiting Fellowship, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge (1984–1985)
- Howard Temin Award for Clinical Sciences for Scientific Excellence in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS (1993)
- Dartmouth College, AB Cum Laude (1965)
- Stanford University, MD (1970)
- Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, Postdoctoral (1972–1975)
- Beth Israel and Children’s Hospital, Boston, Postdoctoral (1975–1976)
- Larder B, Darby G, Richman DD. HIV with reduced sensitivty to zidovudine isolated during prolonged therapy. Science. 1989;243:1731-1734.
- Richman DD, Havlir D, Corbeil J, et al. Nevirapine resistance mutations of HIV-1 selected during therapy. J Virol. 1994;68:1660-1666.
- Wong JK, Hezareh M, Günthard H, Havlir DV, Ignacio CC, Spina CA, Richman DD. Recovery of replication-competent HIV despite prolonged suppression of plasma viremia. Science. 1997;278:1291-1294.
- Richman DD. HIV chemotherapy. Nature. 2001;410:995-1001.
- Richman DD, Whitley RJ, Hayden FG, editors. Clinical Virology. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2002.
- Little SJ, Holte S, Routy JP, Daar ES, Markowitz M, Collier AC, Koup RA, Mellors JW, Connick E, Conway, B, Kilby M, Wang L, Whitcomb JM, Hellmann NS, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance among patients recently infected with HIV. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:385-394.
- Richman DD, Wrin TL, Little SJ, Petropoulos CJ. Rapid evolution of the neutralizing antibody response to HIV type 1 infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003;100:4144-4149.
- Hirsch MS, Brun-Vezinet F, Clotet B, Conway B, Kuritzkes DR, D’Aquila RT, Demeter LM, Hammer SM, Johnson VA, Loveday C, Mellors JW, Jacobsen DM, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adults infected with with human immunodeficiency virus type 1: 2003 recommendations of an International AIDS Society–USA panel. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:113-128.
- Richman DD, Morton SC, Wrin T, et al. The prevalence of antiretroviral drug resistance in the United States. AIDS. 2004;18:1-7.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society–USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)