Professor of Medicine, Emeritus, Harvard Medical School
Director, HIV Program, Healthcare Associates
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Topics of Professional Interest:
- HIV medicine/primary care interface
- HIV infection in the older patient
Current Professional Summary:
Dr. Libman is a clinician educator in the Division of General Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical School (BIDMC), and Professor of Medicine, Emeritus, Harvard Medical School. He directs the HIV Program in Healthcare Associates, the hospital-based primary care practice. His previous positions included Chief of the Education Section of the BIDMC Division of General Medicine and Ambulatory Training/Primary Care Program Director.
Dr. Libman’s career has focused on training medical residents and students in primary care and HIV medicine, caring for patients with HIV infection, and educating practitioners in this field. He provides regional and international training through the New England AIDS Education and Training Center and the Partnership for Health Advancement in Vietnam, respectively. He is co-editor of the textbook, HIV, three editions of which have been published by the American College of Physicians.
Committees and Organizations:
- New England AIDS Education and Training Center (1988-present)
- Partnership for Health Advancement in Vietnam (2006-present)
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (2005)
- Case Western Reserve University, MD (1974-1978)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland, Medical Internship and Residency (1978-1981)
- Boston University Affiliated Hospitals, Infectious Diseases Fellowship (1981-1983)
- Libman H, Pollack T. Initial evaluation of the HIV-infected adult. UpToDate. Wolters Kluwer Health, Waltham, MA.
- Pollack T, Libman H. Primary care of the HIV-infected adult. UpToDate. Wolters Kluwer Health, Waltham, MA.
- Kershaw C, Taylor J, Horowitz G, Brockmeyer D, Libman H, Ngo L, Kriegel G. Use of an electronic medical record reminder improves HIV screening. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2824-9.
- Glassman RD, Libman H. HIV manual. Healthcare Associates, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, 2017. https://aidsetc.org/resource/beth-israel-deaconess-medical-center-healthcare-associates-hiv-manual.
- Fessler DA, Huang GC, Potter J, Baker JJ, Libman H. Development and implementation of a novel HIV primary care track for internal medicine residents. J Gen Intern Med. 2017;32:350-354.
- Reynolds EE, Libman H, Mayer KH. Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention: grand rounds discussion from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Ann Intern Med. 2015;163:941-948.
- Libman H. Will you still treat me when I’m 64: Care of the older adult with HIV infection. Top Antivir Med. 2015;23:97-103.
- Kerr CA, Neeman N, Davis RB, Schulze J, Libman H, Markson L, Aronson M, Bell SK. HIV quality of care assessment at an academic hospital: outcomes and lessons learned. Am J Med Qual. 2012;27:321-328.
- Libman H. Clinical Crossroads. Screening for HIV infection: a healthy, “low-risk” 42-year-old man. JAMA. 2011;306:637-644.
- Aberg JA, Kaplan JE, Libman H, et al. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:651-681.
- Libman H, Makadon HJ, eds. HIV. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians, 2007.
- Libman H, Saitz R, Nunes D, et al. Hepatitis C infection is associated with depressive symptoms in HIV-infected adults with alcohol problems. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1804-1810.