Robert Turell Professor in Cardiovascular Research, Department of Medicine
Cardiovascular Medicine Division
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Director, Preventive Cardiology
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Honors and Awards
Dr Stein received the American College of Cardiology W. Proctor Harvey Young Teacher Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2001. Dr Stein frequently has been named one of Madison’s “Top Docs” in Cardiology by Madison Magazine since 2000. He has been listed in “Best Doctors in America” since 2007. In 2007, he was named one of the 20 best cardiologists in America by Men’s Health Magazine. In 2008, he was named one of the 20 best cardiologists in America by Women’s Health Magazine.
- University of Wisconsin, BS with Honors
- Yale University School of Medicine, MD (cum laude)
- University of Chicago Medical Center, Internship, Internal Medicine
- University of Chicago Medical Center, Residency, Internal Medicine
- Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, Fellowship, Cardiology
- Stein JH, Brown T, Ribaudo H, Chen Y, Yan M, Lauer-Brodell E, McComsey G, Dubé M, Murphy RL, Hodis HN, Currier JS. Ultrasonographic measures of cardiovascular disease risk in antiretroviral treatment-naive individuals with HIV infection. AIDS 2013; 27:929-37. PMID: 23196938
- Gupta SK, Mi D, Dubé MP, Saha C, Johnson RM, Stein JH, Clauss MA, Mather KJ, Desta Z, Liu Z. Pentoxifylline, inflammation, and endothelial function in HIV-infected persons: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial. PLoS ONE 2013; 8:e60852. PMID: 23593327Brown TB, Currier JS, Chen Y, Ribaudo H, Touw J, Rotheberg J, Dubé MP, Murphy R, Stein JH, McComsey GA. Body composition, soluble markers of inflammation, and bone mineral density in antiretroviral therapy-nïve HIV-1 infected individuals. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2013; 63:323-30. PMID: 23591634.
- Wohl D, Arnoczy G, Fichtenbaum C, Campbell T, Taiwo B, Hicks C, McComsey G, Koletar S, Sax P, Tebas P, Ha B, Massengale K, Walsh K, Stein JH. Comparison of cardiovascular disease risk markers in HIV-infected patients receiving abacavir and tenofovir: The Nucleoside Inflammation, Coagulation and Endothelial Function (NICE) Study. Antiviral Therapy 2014; 19:141-7. PMID: 23985706.
- Gepner AD, Korcarz CE, Colangelo LA, Hom E, Tattersall MC, Astor BC, Kaufman JD, Liu K, Stein JH. Longitudinal effects of a decade of aging on carotid artery stiffness: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Stroke 2014; 45:48-53. PMID: 24253542
- Tattersall MC, Gassett A, Korcarz CE, Gepner AD, Kaufman JD, Liu KJ, Astor BC, Sheppard L, Kronmal RA, Stein JH. Predictors of carotid thickness and plaque progression over a decade of aging: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Stroke 2014; 45:3257-3262. PMID: 25213342.
- Stern, R, Tattersall MC, Gepner AD, Korcarz CE, Kaufman J, Colangelo LA, Liu K, Stein JH. Sex differences in predictors of longitudinal changes in carotid artery stiffness: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2014. Dec 4 (Epub ahead of print). PMID: 25477347.
- Gepner AD, Young R, Delaney JC, Tattersall MC, Blaha MC, Post WS, Gottesman RF, Kronmal R, Budoff MJ, Burke GJ, Folsom AR, Liu K, Kaufman J, Stein JH. A comparison of coronary artery calcium presence, carotid plaque presence, and carotid intima-media thickness for cardiovascular disease prediction in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2015 Jan;8(1). pii: e002262. doi: 10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.114.002262. PMID: 25596139.