Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Gerontology, Geriatrics, and Palliative Care
University of Pittsburgh
Committees and Organizations
- Infectious Diseases Society of America HIV and Pain Guidelines Panel
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine HIV Special Interest Group founding chair
Honors and Awards
- 2008 College of Palliative Care Scholarship Award; Penn Pearls Teaching Award, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 2010 Infectious Diseases Society of America Conference Scholarship
- 2011 American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Young Investigator Award
- 2011 Advanced Illness and Multimorbidity (AIM) Scholar, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- 2013 American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Research Scholar
- 2014 Hospice and Palliative Medicine Inspirational Leader Under 40, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Undergraduate: Carnegie Mellon University (BS, Biology)
- Graduate: University of Pennsylvania (MD, MBA); University of Alabama at Birmingham (PhD Candidate In Health Education and Promotion/Health Behavior; anticipated graduation December 2014)
- Residency: University of Pennsylvania (Internal Medicine)
- Infectious Diseases Fellowship: University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: University of Pennsylvania (Infectious Diseases), Mt. Sinai School of Medicine (Palliative Care)
- Merlin JS, Zinski A, Norton WE, Ritchie CS, Saag MS, Mugavero MJ, Treisman G, Hooten WM. A Conceptual Framework for Understanding Chronic Pain in Patients with HIV. Pain Pract. 2013 Apr 1; PMID: 23551857.
- Perry BA, Westfall AO, Molony E, Tucker R, Ritchie C, Saag MS, Mugavero MJ, Merlin JS. Characteristics of an Ambulatory Palliative Care Clinic for HIV-Infected Patients. J Palliat Med. 2013 Mar 11; PMID: 23477304.
- Merlin JS, Childers J, Arnold RM. Chronic pain in the outpatient palliative care clinic. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 Mar;30(2):197-203. PMID: 22556285.
- Merlin JS, Tucker RO, Saag MS, Selwyn PA. The role of palliative care in the current HIV treatment era in developed countries. Top Antivir Med. 2013 Feb-Mar;21(1):20-6. PMID: 23596275.
- Merlin JS, Westfall AO, Raper JL, Zinski A, Norton WE, Willig JH, Gross R, Ritchie CS, Saag MS, Mugavero MJ. Pain, mood, and substance abuse in HIV: implications for clinic visit utilization, antiretroviral therapy adherence, and virologic failure. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Oct 1;61(2):164-70. PMCID: PMC3459261.
- Merlin JS, Cen L, Praestgaard A, Turner M, Obando A, Alpert C, Woolston S, Casarett D, Kostman J, Gross R, Frank I. Pain and physical and psychological symptoms in ambulatory HIV patients in the current treatment era. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Mar;43(3):638-45. PMID: 22115794. Pub Med Journal – In Process.
- Merlin JS, Morrison G, Gluckman S, Lipschik G, Linkin DR, Lyon S, O’Grady E, Calvert H, Friedman H. Medical students in developing countries. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Aug;26(8):833. PMCID: PMC3138993.
- Merlin JS, Morrison G, Gluckman S, Lipschik G, Linkin DR, Lyon S, O’Grady E, Calvert H, Friedman H. Blood and body fluid exposures among US medical students in Botswana. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 May;26(5):561-4. PMCID: PMC3077487.