Joel E. Gallant, MD, MPH
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Medical Director of Specialty Services Southwest CARE Center Santa Fe, New Mexico Adjunct Professor of Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Baltimore, Maryland Clinical Professor of Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases University of New Mexico School of Medicine Albuquerque, New Mexico Disclosure Record Dr Gallant has served as a […]
Medical Director of Specialty Services
Southwest CARE Center
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Adjunct Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Clinical Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dr Gallant has served as a member of the data safety monitoring board for or as a consultant or an advisor to Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead Sciences, Inc, Merck, Theratechnologies, and ViiV Healthcare/Glaxo-SmithKline. He has received research grant support from AbbVie, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead Sciences, Inc, Janssen Therapeutics, Inc, Merck, Sangamo BioSciences, and ViiV Healthcare/GlaxoSmithKline. (Updated 06/09/17)
Committees and Organizations
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Board of Directors and past-chair, HIV Medicine Association
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- HIV Representative, Infectious Diseases Society of America Board of Directors
- HIV Specialist and member, American Academy of HIV Medicine
- Member, HIVMA/IDSA HIV Primary Care Guidelines panel
Honors and Awards
- John C. Hume Masters in Public Health Award
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Alpha Chapter
- 2006 HIVMA/IDSA Clinical Educator Award
- University of California Irvine School of Biological Sciences, BS (1979)
- University of California Irvine School of Social Ecology, BA (1980)
- University of California San Francisco, MD (1985)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Internship and Residency, Internal Medicine (1985-1988)
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, MPH (1990)
- The Johns Hopkins University of Medicine, Fellowship, Infectious Diseases (1990-1992)
- Gallant JE, Moore RD, Chaisson RE. Prophylaxis for opportunistic infections in patients with HIV infection. Ann Intern Med. 1994;120:932-944.
- Maenza JR, Keruly JC, Moore RD, Chaisson RE, Merz WG, Gallant JE. Risk factors for fluconazole-resistant candidiasis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:219-225.
- Gallant JE. Strategies for long-term success in the treatment of HIV infection. JAMA. 2000;283:1329-1334.
- Sethi AK, Celentano DD, Gange SJ, Moore RD, Gallant JE. Association between adherence to antiretroviral therapy and human immunodeficiency virus drug resistance. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:1112-1118.
- Tarwater PM, Parish M, Gallant JE. Prolonged treatment interruption after immunologic response to highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:1541-1548.
- Gallant JE, Staszewski S, Pozniak AL, DeJesus E, Suleiman JM, Miller MD, Coakley DF, Lu B, Toole JJ, Cheng AK; 903 Study Group. Efficacy and safety of tenofovir DF vs stavudine in combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive patients: a 3-year randomized trial. JAMA. 2004;292:191-201.
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Anderson J, Oleske JM, Libman H, Currier JS, Stone VE, Kaplan JE; HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: recommendations of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:609-629.
- Gallant JE, Parish MA, Keruly JC, Moore RD. Changes in renal function associated with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate treatment, compared with nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor treatment. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1194-1948.
- Gallant JE, Rodriguez AE, Weinberg WG, Young B, Berger DS, Lim ML, Liao Q, Ross L, Johnson J, Shaefer MS; ESS30009 Study. Early virologic nonresponse to tenofovir, abacavir, and lamivudine in HIV-infected antiretroviral-naive subjects. J Infect Dis. 2005;192:1921-1930.
- Gallant JE, DeJesus E, Arribas JR, Pozniak AL, Gazzard B, Campo RE, Lu B, McColl D, Chuck S, Enejosa J, Toole JJ, Cheng AK; Study 934 Group. Tenofovir DF, emtricitabine, and efavirenz vs. zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for HIV. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:251-260.
- Nettles RE, Kieffer TL, Parsons T, Johnson J, Cofrancesco J, Gallant JE, Carson K, Siliciano RF, Flexner C. Marked intraindividual variability in antiretroviral concentrations may limit the utility of therapeutic drug monitoring. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:1189-1196.
- Atta M, Gallant JE, Rahman H, Nagajothi N, Racusen LC, Scheel PJ, Fine DM. Antiretroviral therapy in the treatment of HIV-associated nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:2809-2813.
- Arribas JR, Pozniak, AL, Gallant JE, et al. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, emtricitabine, and efavirenz compared with zidovudine/lamivudine and efavirenz in treatment-naive patients: 144-week analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47:74-78.
- Gallant JE, Winston, JA, DeJesus E, et al. The three-year renal safety of a tenofovir DF- vs. a thymidine analog-containing regimen in antiretroviral-naïve patients. AIDS. 2008;22:2155-2163.
- Gallant JE, Moore RD. Renal function with use of a tenofovir-containing initial antiretroviral regimen. AIDS. 2009; 23:1971-1975.
- Wilson L, Gallant JE. Treatment experienced HIV patients: New drugs and drug combinations. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:214-221.
- Margolick JB, Imteyaz H, Gallant JE, et al. Prolonged viral suppression without therapy in an HIV-1 seroconverter following early antiretroviral therapy and daily interleukin-2. AIDS. 2010;24:932-935.
- Spivak AM, Sydnor ER, Blankson JN, Gallant JE. Seronegative HIV-1 infection: a review of the literature. AIDS. 2010;24:1407-1414.
- Gallant JE, Adimora AA, Carmichael JK, et al. Essential components of effective HIV care: a policy paper of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Ryan White Medical Providers Coalition. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:1043-50.
- Moore RD, Bartlett JG, Gallant JE. Association between use of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors and mortality in HIV-infected patients. PLoS One. 2011;6:e21843.
- Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:493-505.
- Sax PE, DeJesus E, Mills A, et al. Co-formulated elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, and tenofovir versus co-formulated efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial, analysis of results after 48 weeks. Lancet. 2012;379:2439-2448.
- Gallant JE, Koenig E, Andrade-Villanueva J, Cet al. Cobicistat versus ritonavir as a pharmacoenhancer for atazanavir plus emtricitabine/tenofovir DF in treatment-naïve HIV-1-infected patients: Week 48 results. J Infect Dis 2013;208:32-9.
- Gallant JE, Mehta S, Sugarman J. Universal antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection: Should U.S. treatment guidelines be applied to resource-limited settings? Clin Infect Dis 2013;57:884-7
- Wohl DA, Cohen C, Gallant JE, Mills A, et al. A randomized, double-blind comparison of single tablet regimen elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF versus single tablet regimen efavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: analysis of week 144 results. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2014;65:e118-20.
- Grinsztejn B, Mossieipour MC, Ribaudo HJ, et al. Effects of early versus delayed initiation of antiretroviral treatment on clinical outcomes of HIV-1 infection: results from the phase 3 HPTN 052 randomised controlled trial. Lancet Infect Dis Lancet Infect Dis2014;14:281-90.
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Ghanem KG, et al. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with HIV: 2013 update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2014:58:e1-34
- Winston J, Chonchol M, Gallant J, et al. Discontinuation of tenofovir dioproxil fumarate for presumed renal adverse events in treatment-naïve HIV-1 patients: meta-analysis of randomized clinical studies. HIV Clin Trials 2014;15:231-4.
- Gallant JE, Koenig E, Andrade-Villanueva JF, et al. Brief report: Cobicistat compared with ritonavir as a pharmacoenhancer for atazanavir in combination with emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate: week 144 results. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2015;338-40.
- Gallant JE, Daar ES, Raffi F, et al. Efficacy and safety of emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (F/TAF) vs emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (F/TDF) as a backbone for treatment of HIV-1 infection in virologically suppressed adults: randomised, double-blind, active-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet HIV 2016;3:e158-65.
- Gallant J, Brunetta J, Crofoot G, et al. Efficacy and safety of switching to a single-tablet regimen of elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (E/C/F/TAF) in HIV-1/hepatitis B coinfected adults. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2016;73:294-8.
- Gunthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, et al. Antiretroviral drugs for treatment and prevention of HIV infection in adults: 2016 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA 2016;316:191-210.
- Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Antiretroviral treatment of prevention of HIV transmission. N Engl J Med 2016;375:830-9.
- Huhn GD, Tebas P, Gallant J, et al. A randomized trial to evaluate switching to elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/ tenofovir alafenamide plus darunavir in treatment-experienced HIV-1 infected adults. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2017;74:193-200.
- Gallant J, Moyle G, Berenguer J, et al. Atazanavir plus cobicistat: Week 48 and Week 144 subgroup analyses of a phase 3, randomized, double-blind, active-controlled trial. Curr HIV Res 2016[Epub ahead of print].
- Gallant JE, Thompson M, DeJesus E, et al. Antiviral activity, safety, and pharmacokinetics of bictegravir as 10-day monotherapy in HIV-1-infected adults. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2017;75:61-66