Professor of Medicine
Chief, Division of Infectious Disease
Associate Director, Clinical AIDS Research and Education Center
David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
Committees and Organizations
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Federation for Clinical Research
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- American College of Physicians
- Fellow, Los Angeles Academy of Medicine (1994)
- Member, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- Metabolic Complications Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA (2001–)
Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- MD with Honors
- Upjohn Achievement Award for Internal Medicine
- Janet Glasgow Award
- CARES Woman of the Year in Medicine, Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center (1997)
- Constance B. Wofsy Women’s Health Investigator Award
- Bowdoin College, BA (1979)
- Dartmouth Medical School, MD (1985)
- Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, Internship (1985–1986)
- Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Hospital, Residency (1986–1988)
- Division of Infectious Diseases, Beth Israel Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Clinical Fellow in Medicine (1988–1989)
- Division of Infectious Diseases, Beth Israel Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Research Fellow in Medicine (1989–1990)
- Harvard School of Public Health, Kellogg Fellowship in Clincial Effectiveness (1989–1991)
- Harvard School of Public Health, MSc Epidemiology (1991)
- Currier JS. Discontinuing prophylaxis for opportunistic infection: guiding principles. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;3(Suppl 1):S66-S71.
- Eron JJ, Smeaton LM, Fiscus SA, Gulick RM, Currier JS, Lennox JL, D’Aquila RT, Rogers MD, Tung R, Murphy RL. The effects of protease inhibitor therapy on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 levels in semen (AIDS clinical trials group protocol 850). J Infect Dis. 2000;181:1622-1628.
- Currier JS, Williams PL, Koletar SL, Cohn SE, Murphy RL, Heald AE, Hafner R, Bassily EL, Lederman HM, Knirsch C, Benson CA, Valdez H, Aberg JA, McCutchan JA. Discontinuation of Mycobacterium avium complex prophylaxis in patients with antiretroviral therapy-induced increases in CD4+ cell count. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. AIDS Clinical Trials Group 362 Study Team. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:493-503.
- Currier JS, Spino C, Grimes J, Wofsy CB, Katzenstein DA, Hughes MD, Hammer SM, Cotton DJ. Differences between women and men in adverse events and CD4+ responses to nucleoside analogue therapy for HIV infection. The Aids Clinical Trials Group 175 Team. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2000;24:316-324.
- Currier JS, Williams P, Feinberg J, Becker S, Owens S, Fichtenbaum C, Benson C; Adult Clinical Trial Group. Impact of prophylaxis for Mycobacterium avium complex on bacterial infections in patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:1615-1622.
- Koletar SL, Heald AE, Finkelstein D, Hafner R, Currier JS, McCutchan JA, Vallee M, Torriani FJ, Powderly WG, Fass RJ, Murphy RL; ACTG 888 Study Team. A prospective study of discontinuing primary and secondary Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia prophylaxis after CD4 cell count increase to > 200 x 106 /l. AIDS. 2001;15:1509-1515.
- Haubrich RH, Currier JS, Forthal DN, Beall G, Kemper CA, Johnson D, Dube MP, Hwang J, Leedom JM, Tilles J, McCutchan JA; California Collaborative Treatment Group. A randomized study of the utility of human immunodeficiency virus RNA measurement for the management of antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;33:1060-1068.
- von Reyn CF, Williams PL, Lederman HM, McCutchan JA, Koletar SL, Murphy RL, Cohn SE, Evans T, Heald AE, Colquhoun D, Bassily EL, Currier JS. Skin test reactivity and cellular immune responses to Mycobacterium avium sensitin in AIDS patients at risk for disseminated M. avium infection. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2001;8:1277-1278.
- Cohn SE, Kammann E, Williams P, Currier JS, Chesney MA. Association of adherence to Mycobacterium avium complex prophylaxis and antiretroviral therapy with clinical outcomes in Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1129-1136.
- Schambelan M, Benson CA, Carr A, Currier JS, Dube MP, Gerber JG, Grinspoon SK, Grunfeld C, Kotler DP, Mulligan K, Powderly WG, Saag MS; International AIDS Society-USA. Management of metabolic complications associated with antiretroviral therapy for HIV-1 infection: recommendations of an IAS–USA panel. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002;31:257-275.