Professor of Medicine
Divisions of Infectious Diseases and Hepatology/Gastroenterology
Department of Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Committees and Organizations
- Associate Member, American College of Physicians (1992–1995)
- American Medical Association (1993–1995)
- Member, Infectious Diseases Society of America (1995–present)
- Vice-President and Director of Clinical Research, Hepatitis Resource Network (1998–present)
- Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2001)
Honors and Awards
- National Merit Scholarship, Lehigh University (1984)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude Graduate, Lehigh University (1988)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1991)
- Emanuel M. Weinberger Award for Achievement in Infectious Diseases, Temple University School of Medicine (1992)
- Junior Faculty Award for Patient-Directed Research in Infectious Disease, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals (2000)
- Lehigh University, BS, Biology (1988)
- Temple University School of Medicine, MD (1992)
- Duke University Medical Center, Internship in Medicine (1992–1993)
- Duke University Medical Center, Residency in Medicine (1993–1995)
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1995–1998)
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Postdoctoral Studies in Biostatistics and Epidemiology (1996)
- Sulkowski MS, et al. Pegylated interferon α-2a (PEGASYS™) and ribavirin combination therapy for chronic hepatitis C: a phase II open-label study. Abstract at Dig Dis Week. May 2000; San Diego, Calif.
- Sulkowski MS, et al. Changes in hemoglobin during therapy with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin therapy in IFN-naive and experienced patients. Poster presentation at the 51st Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Hepatology.2000;32:368A. Abstract 834.
- Sulkowski MS, Dumler JS. The clinical spectrum of disease due to ehrlichia chaffeensis: case report and review. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 1998;7:252-256.
- Sulkowski MS. Hepatitis C virus and HIV co-infection: a sleeping giant wakes. The Hopkins HIV Report. 1999;11:3-12.
- Sulkowski MS, Chaisson RE, Karp CL, Margolick JB, Moore RD, Quinn TC. The effect of acute infections on plasma HIV-1 viral load and the expression of serologic markers of immune activation among HIV-infected adults. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:1642-1648.
- Sulkowski MS, Chaisson RE. Gastrointestinal manifestations of HIV infection. In: Mandell GE, Bennett JE, Dolin R, eds. Principles and Practice of Infectious Disease. New York, NY: Churchill-Livingstone; 1999.
- Sulkowski MS, Thomas DL, Chaisson RE, Moore RD. Hepatotoxicity associated with antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected adults: role of protease inhibitors and hepatitis C virus infection. JAMA. 2000;283:74-80.
- Sulkowski MS, Mast EE, Seef LB, Thomas DL. Hepatitis C virus infection as an opportunistic infection in HIV-infected persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:S77-S84.
- Mehta S, Brancati F, Sulkowski MS, Strathdee S, Szlko M, Thomas DL. Prevalence of type II diabetes mellitus among persons with hepatitis C virus infection in the United States. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:592-599.
- Cummings KJ, Lee SM, West ES, Cid-Ruzafa J, Fein SG, Aoki Y, Sulkowski MS, Goodman SN. Interferon and ribavirin versus interferon alone in the retreatment of chronic hepatitis C non-responsive to previous interferon: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. JAMA. 2001;285:193-199.