Professor of Medicine
Emeritus Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Director, AIDS Research Institute
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco, California
Institutional Website: HIV InSite
Committees and Organizations
- Founding Chair, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- President, HIV Medicine Association, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2004-2005)
- National Academy of Medicine
- Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
- Co-Editor in Chief, Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes
Honors and Awards
- Elected to Institute of Medicine (1999)
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Chicago
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Minnesota
- Association of American Physicians
- University of Chicago, AB (1971)
- University of Minnesota, MD (1975)
- University of Utah (1978)
- University of California San Francisco (1981)
- Board certified in Medical Oncology and Internal Medicine
- Henry DH, Volberding PA, Leitz G. Epoetin alfa for treatment of anemia in HIV-infected patients: past, present, and future. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37:1221-1227.
- Hammer SM, Saag MS, Schechter M, Montaner JS, Schooley RT, Jacobsen DM, Thompson MA, Carpenter CC, Fischl MA, Gazzard BG, Gatell JM, Hirsch MS, Katzenstein DA, Richman DD, Vella S, Yeni PG, Volberding PA; International AIDS Society-USA panel. Treatment for adult HIV infection: 2006 recommendations of the International AIDS Society–USA panel. JAMA. 2006;296:827-843. (Prior recommendations published in 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)
- Volberding PA. Meeting challenges–overcoming limitations: advances of the protease inhibitor class proceedings of an expert roundtable. JAIDS. 2004;35:S1-S2.
- Michael MG, Kaufman C, Volberding PA, Gupta P, Switzer WM, Heneine W, Sandstrom P, Kaplan L, Swift P, Damon L, Ilstad ST. Baboon to human bone marrow xenotransplant in a patient with advanced HIV disease: case report and seven-year follow-up. Transplantation. In press.
- Chung RT, Andersen J, Volberding P, Robbins GK, Liu T, Sherman KE, Peters MG, Koziel MJ, Bhan AK, Alston B, Colquhoun D, Nevin T, Harb G, van der Horst C; AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5071 Study Team. Peginterferon Alfa-2a plus ribavirin versus interferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C in HIV-coinfected persons. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:451-459.
- Volberding PA. Initiating HIV therapy. Timing is critical, controversial. Postgrad Med. 2004;115:15-8, 21, 24-26.
- Volberding PA. Critical issues in treatment and management of HIV infection: introducing and overview. Available at: http://www.hivandhepatitis.com. Accessed: November 23, 2004.
- Volberding PA, Levine AM, Dieterich D, Mildvan D, Mitsuyasu R, Saag M; Anemia in HIV Working Group. Anemia in HIV infection: clinical impact and evidence-based management strategies. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:1454-1463.
- Volberding PA, Baker KR, Levine AM. Human immunodeficiency virus hematology. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program). 2003;294-313.
- Volberding PA, Murphy RL, Barbaro G, Barbarini G, Bruno R, Cirelli A, Currie PF, Di Lorenzo G, Fantoni M, Filiced G, Galli M, Grisorio B, Moroni M, Recusani F, Sacchi P, Scevola D, Stein JH, Torre D, Vittecoq D. The pavia consensus statement. AIDS. 2003;17(Suppl 1):S170-S19.