Professor of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
San Francisco General Hospital
San Francisco, California
Topics of Professional Interest
- Cardiovascular complications of cocaine including aortic dissection, myocardial infarction, and cardiac arrest
- Pathogenesis of atherosclerosis in HIV-infected patients treated with antiretroviral therapy
- Clinical features and outcomes of acute coronary syndromes in HIV-infected patients
- Incidence and mechanisms of pulmonary hypertension in HIV-infected patients
- Dyslipidemia in HIV-infected patients
Current Professional Summary
Dr Hsue trained in Internal Medicine in the Molecular Medicine Training Program and in Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, where she served as Chief Cardiology Fellow. She has been on the faculty in the Department of Medicine at San Francisco General Hospital since 2002. She started the HIV Cardiology Clinic in March 2004 at the Positive Health Program at Ward 86, which is one of the first subspeciality clinics of its kind in the nation.
- Tseng ZH, Moyers B, Secemsky EA, Havlir DV, Hsue PY. PR Interval and Sudden Cardiac Death in Patients With HIV Infection. J Infect Dis. 2013 Jan; 207(1):199-200.
- Hatano H, Scherzer R, Wu Y, Harvill K, Maka K, Hoh R, Sinclair E, Palmer S, Martin JN, Busch MP, Deeks SG, Hsue PY. A Randomized Controlled Trial Assessing the Effects of Raltegravir Intensification on Endothelial Function in Treated HIV Infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Nov 1; 61(3):317-25.
Selby VN, Scherzer R, Barnett CF, Macgregor JS, Morelli J, Donovan C, Deeks SG, Martin JN, Hsue PY. Doppler echocardiography does not accurately estimate pulmonary artery systolic pressure in HIV-infected patients. AIDS. 2012 Sep 24; 26(15):1967-9.
- McCabe JM, Armstrong EJ, Hoffmayer KS, Bhave PD, Macgregor JS, Hsue P, Stein JC, Kinlay S, Ganz P. Impact of Door-to-Activation Time on Door-to-Balloon Time in Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarctions: A Report From the Activate-SF Registry. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012 Sep 1; 5(5):672-9.
- Stein JH, Hsue PY. Inflammation, Immune Activation, and CVD Risk in Individuals With HIV Infection. JAMA. 2012 Jul 25; 308(4):405-6.
- McCabe JM, Armstrong EJ, Kulkarni A, Hoffmayer KS, Bhave PD, Garg S, Patel A, MacGregor JS, Hsue P, Stein JC, Kinlay S, Ganz P. Prevalence and factors associated with false-positive ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction diagnoses at primary percutaneous coronary intervention–capable centers: a report from the Activate-SF registry. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Jun 11; 172(11):864-71.
- Ho JE, Scherzer R, Hecht FM, Maka K, Selby V, Martin JN, Ganz P, Deeks SG, Hsue PY. The association of CD4+ T-cell counts and cardiovascular risk in treated HIV disease. AIDS. 2012 Jun 1; 26(9):1115-20.
- Hsue PY, Deeks SG, Hunt PW. Immunologic Basis of Cardiovascular Disease in HIV-Infected Adults. J Infect Dis. 2012 Jun; 205 Suppl 3:S375-82.
- Frey PF, Ganz P, Hsue PY, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA, Balmes JR, Schick SF. The exposure-dependent effects of aged secondhand smoke on endothelial function. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 May 22; 59(21):1908-13.
- Tseng ZH, Secemsky EA, Dowdy D, Vittinghoff E, Moyers B, Wong JK, Havlir DV, Hsue PY. Sudden cardiac death in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 May 22; 59(21):1891-6.
- Hsue PY, Scherzer R, Hunt PW, Schnell A, Bolger AF, Kalapus SC, Maka K, Martin JN, Ganz P, Deeks SG. Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Progression in HIV-Infected Adults Occurs Preferentially at the Carotid Bifurcation and Is Predicted by Inflammation. J Am Heart Assoc. 2012 Apr; 1(2).
- Sacre K, Hunt PW, Hsue PY, Maidji E, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Autran B, McCune JM. A role for cytomegalovirus-specific CD4+CX3CR1+ T cells and cytomegalovirus-induced T-cell immunopathology in HIV-associated atherosclerosis. AIDS. 2012 Apr 24; 26(7):805-14.
- Armstrong EJ, Kulkarni AR, Hoffmayer KS, Bhave PD, Macgregor JS, Hsue P, Stein JC, Kinlay S, Ganz P, McCabe JM. Delaying primary percutaneous coronary intervention for computed tomographic scans in the emergency department. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Aug 1; 110(3):345-9.
- Hsue PY, Scherzer R, Grunfeld C, Nordstrom SM, Schnell A, Kohl LP, Nitta E, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Weiss EJ. HIV Infection Is Associated With Decreased Thrombin Generation. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Apr; 54(8):1196-203.
- Almodovar S, Knight R, Allshouse AA, Roemer S, Lozupone C, McDonald D, Widmann J, Voelkel NF, Shelton RJ, Suarez EB, Hammer KW, Goujard C, Petrosillo N, Simonneau G, Hsue PY, Humbert M, Flores SC. Human Immunodeficiency Virus nef Signature Sequences Are Associated with Pulmonary Hypertension. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012 Jun; 28(6):607-18.
- Papasavvas E, Hsue P, Reynolds G, Pistilli M, Hancock A, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Montaner LJ. Increased CD34(+)/KDR(+) cells are not associated with carotid artery intima-media thickness progression in chronic HIV-positive subjects. Antivir Ther. 2012; 17(3):557-63.
- Hsue PY, Ordovas K, Lee T, Reddy G, Gotway M, Schnell A, Ho JE, Selby V, Madden E, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Ganz P, Waters DD. Carotid intima-media thickness among human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients without coronary calcium. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Mar 1; 109(5):742-7.
- Secemsky EA, Lange D, Ho JE, Brayton K, Ganz PA, Farr G, Macgregor JS, Hsue PY. Improvement in revascularization time after creation of a coronary catheterization laboratory at a public hospital. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Jan 23; 172(2):193-4.
- Secemsky E, Lange D, Waters DD, Goldschlager NF, Hsue PY. Hemodynamic and arrhythmogenic effects of cocaine in hypertensive individuals. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2011 Oct; 13(10):744-9.
- Hsue PY, Bolger AF, Martin JN. Pulmonary hypertension in HIV-infected individuals. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jul 1; 53(1):96; author reply 96-7.