Associate Professor of Medicine
Associate Director, UCLA Center for Clinical AIDS Research & Education
University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
Committees and Organizations:
- 2004-2005 – Antimicrobial Use Improvement Project, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2007-2013 – AAHIVM Research Task Force Committee
- 2009-2011– AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Optimization of Antiretroviral Therapy (OpART) Scientific Agenda Subcommittee
- 2009-2013 – AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Optimization of Antiretroviral Therapy (OpART) Study Safety Monitoring Committee
- 2010-present – NIH/HANC Behavioral Science Working Group
- 2010-2013 – UCLA Medical Center Morbidity and Mortality Committee
- 2011-2013 – AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Antiretroviral Strategies Scientific (ARTS) Subcommittee
- 2011-2013 – AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance (OHARA) Scientific Subcommittee
- 2011-2013 – AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance (OHARA) Safety Monitoring Committee Chairman
- 2012-present – NIH/HANC Youth Prevention Research Working Group
- 2012-present – Adolescent Trials Network (ATN) Therapeutics Leadership Group
- 2012-present – Adolescent Trials Network (ATN) Adolescent Medicine Leadership Group
- 2013-present – University of California Los Angeles Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- 2013-present – AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Long Acting Therapeutics Working Group
- 2014-present – Vice Chair, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Antiretroviral Strategies (ARTS) Subcommittee
Honors and Awards
- 1990 Eastman Kodak Scholar
- 1991 William Foster Memorial Prize in Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- 1992 Everett S. Wallis Prize in Organic Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- 1992 Phi Beta Kappa, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- 2001 Edward H. Kass Award for Clinical Excellence in Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts Infectious Disease Society
- 2002 Undergraduate Medical Education Teaching Award, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2002 Society of Teaching Fellows, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2010 John Carey Young Investigator Award, AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG)
- 2012 American Academy of HIV Medicine/ Institute for Technology for Health Care in HIV Practice Award
- 2012 Best Doctors in America 2013, Best Doctors Inc.
- 2013 Best Doctors in America 2014, Best Doctors Inc.
- Princeton University, BA Summa cum laude (1992)
- Harvard Medical School, MD (1996)
- University of California Los Angeles, MSc (2009)
- Walker S, Landovitz R, Ding WD, Ellestad GA, Kahne D. Cleavage behavior of Calicheamicin gIand Calicheamicin T; Proc Natl Acad Sci 1992; 89: 4608-12.
- Landovitz RJ and Sax PE. Symptomatic junctional bradycardia after treatment with nelfinavir; Clin Infect Dis 1999; 29: 449-50.
- Shoptaw S, Rotheram-Fuller E, Landovitz R, et al. Nonoccupational Post-Exposure Prohpylaxis as a Biobehavioral HIV Prevention Intervention. AIDS Care, 2008; 20(3):376-81.
- Landovitz RJ, Angel JB, Hoffmann C, et al. Phase II study of vicriviroc versus efavirenz (both with zidovudine/lamivudine) in treatment-naive subjects with HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 2008;198(8):1113-1122.
- Landovitz RJ, Combs KB, Currier JS. Availability of HIV Postexposure Prophylaxis Services in Los Angeles County. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1624-7. PMID: 19400685, PMC 2922974.
- Brooks RA, Lieber E, Kaplan RL, Landovitz RJ, Lee S-J, Leibowitz AA. Motivators, concerns, and barriers to adoption of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention among gay and bisexual men in HIV serodiscordant male relationships. AIDS Care. 2011; 1-10. PMID: 21476147.
- Brooks R, Landovitz RJ, Kaplan RL, Lieber, E, Lee, SJ, Barkley TW. Sexual risk behaviors and acceptability of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among HIV-negative gay and bisexual men in serodiscordant relationships: A mixed methods study. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012 Feb;26(2):87-94. Epub 2011 Dec 7.
- Landovitz RJ, Fletcher J, Inzhakova G, Lake JE, Shoptaw S, Reback CJ. A novel combination HIV prevention strategy: Post-exposure prophylaxis with contingency management for substance abuse treatment among methamphetamine-using men who have sex with men. AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2012 Jun;26(6):320-8.
- Landovitz RJ, Tseng CH, Weissman M, Haymer M, Mendenhall B, Rogers K, Veniegas R, Gorbach P, Reback CJ, Shoptaw S. Epidemiology, sexual risk behavior, and HIV prevention practices of men who have sex with men using GRINDR in Los Angeles, California. J Urban Health. 2012 Sept 15. [Epub ahead of print].
- Etter P, Landovitz R, Sibeko S, Sobieszczyk ME, Riddler SA, Karg C, Tsibris A, Schouten J. Recommendations for the Follow-Up of Study Participants with Breakthrough HIV Infections during HIV/AIDS Biomedical Prevention Studies. AIDS. 2012 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print].
- Fletcher JB, Rusow JA, Le H, Landovitz RJ, Reback CJ. High-Risk Sexual Behavior Is Associated with Postexposure Prophylaxis Nonadherence among Men Who Have Sex with Men Enrolled in a Combination Prevention Intervention,” J Sex Transm Dis. 2013;2013:210403.
- Pines HA, Gorbach PM, Weiss RE, Shoptaw S, Landovitz RJ, Javanbakht M, Ostrow DG, Stall RD, Plankey M. Sexual risk trajectories among MSM in the United States: implications for pre-exposure prophylaxis delivery. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014 Apr 15;65(5):579-86.
- Pines HA, Gorbach PM, Reback CJ, Landovitz RJ, Mutchler MG, Mitsuyasu R. Commercial lubricant use among HIV-negative men who have sex with men in Los Angeles: implications for the development of rectal microbicides for HIV prevention. AIDS Care. 2014 Jul 15:1-10.
- Beymer MR, Bolan RK, Flynn RP, Kerrone DR, Pieribone DL,Kulkarni SP, Stitt JC, Mejia E, Landovitz RJ. Uptake and repeat use of post-exposure prophylaxis in a community-based clinic in Los Angeles, California. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 Sep;30(9):848-855. Epub 2014 Jul 29.
- Lennox JL, Landovitz RJ, Ribaudo HJ et al. A Phase III Comparative Study of the Efficacy and Tolerability of Three Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor-Sparing Antiretroviral Regimens for Treatment-Naïve HIV-1-Infected Volunteers: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Oct 7;161(7):461-71.
- Landovitz RJ, Fletcher JB, Shoptaw S, Reback CJ. Contingency Management facilitates the use of Post-Exposure Prophylaxis among Stimulant-using Men who have Sex with Men. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. Doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofu114.
- Brooks RA, Landovitz RJ, Regan R, Lee SJ and Allen VC. Perceptions of and intentions to adopt HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among black men who have sex with men in Los Angeles. Int J STD AIDS. DOI: 10.1177/0956462415570159