Professor of Medicine
Head, Division of Infectious Diseases
Vice Chair, Department of Medicine
Senior Director, International Initiatives
University of California San Diego
La Jolla, California
Committees and Organizations
- Member, Board of Directors, IAS–USA
- Association of American Physicians (1991-)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1990–)
- Scientific Advisory Board, President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief, US Department of State
Honors and Awards
- Bonfils-Stanton Award for Science in Colorado
- Colorado AIDS Project Distinguished Service Award
- Washington and Lee University, BS (1970)
- The Johns Hopkins University, MD (1974)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Medical Residency (1974–1976)
- Infectious Disease Fellowships, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and Massachusetts General Hospital (1976–1981)
- Wyles DW, Kaihara KA, Vaida F and Schooley RT. Synergy of small molecular inhibitors of HCV replication directed at multiple viral targets. J Virol. 2007; 81:3005-8.
- Kumarasamy N, Madhavan V, Venkatesh KK, Saravanan S, Kantor R, Balakrishnan P, Devaleenol B, Poongulali S, Yepthomi T, Solomon S, Mayer K, Benson C and Schooley R. High frequency of clinically significant mutations following first-line generic HAART failure: Implications for second line options in resource-limited settings. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:306-9.
- Lu Q, Zhang X-Q, Pond SLK, Reed SL, Schooley RT, Liu Y-T, Detection in 2009 of the Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus by a Subtyping Microarray. J Clin Micro 2009; 47: 3060-1.
- SchooleyRT, SpritzlerJ, WangH, LedermanMM, HavlirD, KuritzkesDR, PollardRB, BattagliaC, Robertson M, MehrotraD, CasimiroD, CoxK, SchockB and the ACTG 5197 Study Team ACTG 5197: A Placebo Controlled Trial of Immunization of HIV-1 Infected Persons with a Replication Deficient Ad5 Vaccine Expressing the HIV-1 Core Protein J Infect Dis, 2010;202:705-16.
- Lockman S, Hughes M, McIntyre J, Zheng Y, Chipato T, Conradie F, Sawe F, Asmelash A, Hosseinipour M, Mohapi L, Stringer E, Mngqibisa R, Siika A, Atwine D, Hakim J, Shaffer D, Kanyama C, Wools-Kaloustian K, Salata R, Hogg E, Alston-Smith B, Walawander A, Purcelle-Smith E, Eshleman S, Rooney J, Rahim S, Mellors J, Schooley R, Currier J. A Trial of Two Antiretroviral Therapies in Women with and without Prior Nevirapine Use. New Engl J Med, 363:1499-509.
- Holmes EC, Ghedin E, Halpin RA, Stockwell TB, Zhang, X-Q, Fleming R, Davey R, Benson CA, Mehta SR, Taplitz RA, Liu Y-T, Brouwer KC, Wentworth DE, Lin X, INSIGHT FLU002 Study Group and Schooley RT. Extensive Geographical Mixing of Human H1N1/09 Influenza A Virus in a Single University Community. J Virol, 2011; 14; 6923-9.
- Lochhead MJ, Todorof K, Delaney M, Ives JT, Greef C, Moll K, Rowley K, Vogel K, Myatt C, Zhang XQ, Logan C, Benson C, Reed S, Schooley RT. Rapid multiplexed immunoassay for simultaneous serodiagnosis of HIV-1 and coinfections. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:3584-90.
- Lockman S, Hughes M, Sawe F, Zheng Y, McIntyre J, Chipato T, Asmelash A, Rassool M, Kimaiyo S, Shaffer D, Hosseinipour M, Mohapi L, Ssali F, Chibowa M, Amod F, Halvas E, Hogg E, Alston-Smith B, Smith L, Schooley R, Mellors J, Currier J, the OCTANE (Optimal Combination Therapy After Nevirapine Exposure) ACTG A5208/OCTANE StudyTeam. Nevirapine- Versus Lopinavir/Ritonavir-Based Initial Therapy for HIV-1 Infection among Women in Africa: A Randomized Trial. PLoS Medicine, 2012; 9: e1001236.
- Thompson MA (Panel Chair), Aberg JA, Cahn P, Montaner JSG, Rizzardini G, Telenti A, Gatell JM, Günthard HF, Hammer SM, Hirsch MS; Jacobsen DM, Reiss P, Richman DD, Volberding PA, Yeni P, Schooley RT (Panel Vice-Chair). Antiretroviral Treatment of Adult HIV Infection: 2010 Recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2010; 304; 321 – 33. (Prior recommendations published in 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1997, 1996)