Professor of Medicine and Microbiology
Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center
The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Center for AIDS Research
Committees and Organizations
- Resistance Testing Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA (1997-Present)
- Chair, Drug Resistance Mutations Group, IAS–USA (2003-Present)
- Member, NIH/NIAID Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group
- HIV Disease Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
- Invited Member, FDA Antiviral Drugs Advisory Committee (AVAC)
- Chair, NIH/NIAID Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group (AACTG) Virology Subcommittee
- Saint Olaf College, BA, Summa Cum Laude (1978)
- University of Minnesota-Minneapolis Medical School (1982)
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Residency and Chief Residency Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado Sciences Center, Clinical Fellowship in Infectious Diseases
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Research Fellowship in Infectious Diseases
- Fisher RA, Bertonis JM, Meier W, Johnson VA, Costopoulos DS, Liu T, Tizard R, Walker BD, Hirsch MS, Schooley RT, Flavell RA. HIV infection is blocked in vitro by recombinant soluble CD4. Nature. 1988;331:76-78.
- Wei X, Ghosh SK, Taylor ME, Johnson VA, Emini EA, Deutsch P, Lifson JD, Bonhoeffer S, Nowak MA, Hahn BH, Saag MS, Shaw GM. Viral dynamics in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Nature.1995;373:117-122.
- D’Aquila RT, Johnson VA, Welles SL, Japour AJ, Kuritzkes DR, DeGruttola V, Reichelderfer PS, Coombs RW, Crumpacker CS, Kahn JO, and Richman DD for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 116B/117 Team and the Virology Committee Resistance Working Group. Zidovudine resistance and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 disease progression during antiretroviral therapy. Ann Intern Med.1995;122:401-408.
- D’Aquila RT, Hughes MD, Johnson VA, Fischl MA, Sommadossi J-P, Liou S-H, Timpone J, Myers M, Basgoz N, Niu M, Hirsch MS, and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 241 Investigators. Nevirapine, zidovudine, and didanosine compared with zidovudine and didanosine in patients with HIV-1 infection. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:1019-1030.
- D’Aquila RT, Sutton L, Savara A, Hughes MD, Johnson VA for the NIAID AIDS Clinical Trial Group Protocol 241 Virology Team. CCR5/Δccr5 heterozygosity: a selective pressure for the syncytium-inducing HIV-1 phenotype. J Infect Dis. 1998;177:1549-1553.
- D’Aquila RT, Hughes M, Johnson VA. HIV-1 entry inhibitors and virus emergence (letter to the editor). Nat Med. 1999;5:1091.
- Fiscus SA, Adimorea AA, Schoenbach VJ, McKinney R, Lim W, Rupar D, Kenney J, Woods C, Wilfert C, Johnson VA. Trends in HIV counseling, testing, and antiretroviral treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-infected women and perinatal transmission in North Carolina. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:99-105.
- Hirsch MS, Brun-Vezinet F, D’Aquila RT, Hammer SM, Johnson VA, Kuritzkes DR, Loveday C, Mellors JW, Clotet B, Conway B, Demeter LM, Vella S, Jacobsen DM, Richman DD. Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adult HIV-1 infection: recommendations of an International AIDS Society–USA panel. JAMA. 2000;283:2417-2426.
- Call SA, Saag MS, Westfall AO, Raper JL, Pham SV, Tolson JM, Hellmann NS, Cloud GA, Johnson VA. Phenotypic drug susceptibility testing predicts long-term virologic suppression better than treatment history in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. J Infect Dis. 2001;183:401-408.
- Johnson VA, Petropoulos CJ, Woods CR, Hazelwood JD, Parkin NT, Hamilton CD, Fiscus SA. Vertical transmission of multi-drug resistant human immunodeficiency virus type-1 (HIV-1) and continued evolution of drug resistance in an HIV-1-infected infant. J Infect Dis.2001;183:1688-1693.