Professor of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
Division of Geriatrics and Department of Neurology
Department of Medicine
San Francisco, California
Committees and Organizations
- Co-Director, UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research (CFAR)
- Executive Chairman, Accordia Global Health Foundation (2013-2016), President (2007-2013)
- Center Director, Global Virus Network (2011-present)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, CFAR University of Alabama, Birmingham (2002-present)
- Executive Committee, Scientific Advisory Board, Institute of Human Virology (1999-present)
- Member: AFCR, AAI, ACP, ASCI, AAP, ASM, ASCB, AAAS
Honors and Awards
- Member, American Academy of Arts & Sciences (2014)
- President, Association of American Physicians (2013)
- National Academy of Medicine (formerly Institute of Medicine) of the National Academies (2005)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2004)
- Original Member, ISI Highly Cited Researchers (2001)
- Stanford University, BA (1971)
- Washington University School of Medicine, MD, PhD (1971-1977)
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Internship and Residency (1977-1979)
- Geleziunas R, Xu W, Takeda K, Ichijo H, Greene WC. HIV-1 Nef inhibits ASK1-dependent death signaling providing a potential mechanism for protecting the infected host cell. Nature 410:834–838, 2001.
- Chen L-f, Fischle W, Verdin E, Greene WC. Duration of nuclear NF-κB action regulated by reversible acetylation. Science 293:1653–1657, 2001.
- de Noronha CMC, Sherman MP, Lin HW, Cavrois M, Moir RD, Goldman RD, Greene WC. Dynamic disruptions in nuclear envelope architecture and integrity induced by HIV-1 Vpr. Science 294:1105–1108, 2001.
- Cavrois M, de Noronha C, Greene WC. A sensitive and specific enzyme-based assay detecting HIV-1 virion fusion in primary T lymphocytes. Nat. Biotech. 20:1151–1154, 2002.
- Stopak K, de Noronha C, Yonemoto W, Greene WC. HIV-1 Vif blocks the antiviral activity of APOBEC3G by impairing both its translation and intracellular stability. Mol. Cell. 12:591–601, 2003.
- Chiu YL, Witkowska HE, Hall SC, Santiago M, Soros VB, Esnault C, Heidmann T, Greene WC. High-molecular-mass APOBEC3G complexes restrict Alu retrotransposition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 103:15588–15593, 2006. PMCID: PMC1592537
- Williams SA, Chen L-f, Kwon H, Ruiz-Jarabo CM, Verdin E, Greene WC. NF-κB p50 promotes HIV latency through HDAC recruitment and repression of transcriptional initiation. EMBO J. 25:139–149, 2006. PMCID: PMC1356344
- Soros VB, Yonemoto W, Greene WC. Newly synthesized APOBEC3G is incorporated into HIV virions, inhibited by HIV RNA, and subsequently activated by RNase H. PLoS Path. 3:e15, 2007. PMCID: PMC1796622
- Santiago ML, Montano M, Benitez R, Messer RJ, Yonemoto W, Chesebro B, Hasenkrug KJ, Greene WC. APOBEC3 encodes Rfv3, a gene influencing neutralizing antibody control of retrovirus infection. Science 321:1343–1346, 2008. PMCID: PMC2701658
- Roan NR, Münch J, Arhel N, Mothes W, Neidleman J, Kobayashi A, Smith-McCune K, Kirchhoff F, Greene WC. The cationic properties of SEVI underlie its ability to enhance human immunodeficiency virus infection. J. Virol. 83:73–80, 2009. PMCID: PMC2612336
- Roan NR, Sowinski S, Münch J, Kirchhoff F, Greene WC. The aminoquinoline surfen inhibits action of semen-derived enhancer of viral infection (SEVI). J. Biol. Chem. 285:1861–1869, 2010. PMCID: PMC2804344
- Doitsh G, Cavrois M, Lassen KG, Zepeda O, Yang Z, Santiago ML, Hebbler AM, Greene WC. Abortive HIV infection mediates CD4 T-cell depletion and inflammation in human lymphoid tissue. Cell 143:789–801, 2010. PMCID: PMC3026834
- Wissing S, Montano M, Garcia-Perez JL, Moran JV, Greene WC. Endogenous APOBEC3B restricts LINE-1 retrotransposition in transformed cells and human embryonic stem cells. J. Biol. Chem286:26427–26437 2011. PMCID: PMC3196128
- Lassen KG, Hebbeler AM, Bhattacharyya D, Lobritz MA, Greene WC. A flexible model of HIV-1 latency permitting evaluation of many primary CD4 T-cell reservoirs. PLoS One 7:e30176, 2012. PMCID: PMC3265466
- Roan NR, Müller JA, Liu H, Chu S, Arnold F, Stürzel C, Walther P, Dong M, Witkowska E, Kirchhoff F, Münch F, Greene WC. Peptides released by physiological cleavage of semen coagulum proteins form amyloids that enhance HIV infection. Cell Host Microbe 10:541–550, 2011. PMCID: PMC3257029
- Doitsh G, Galloway NLK, Geng X, Yang Z, Monroe KM, Zepeda O, Hunt PW, Hatano H, Sowinski S, Muñoz-Arias I, Greene WC. Pyroptosis drives CD4 T-cell depletion in HIV-1 infection. Nature 505:509-514, 2014. PMCID: PMC4047036
- Monroe KM, Yang Z, Johnson JR, Geng X, Doitsh G, Krogan NJ, Greene WC. IFI16 DNA sensor is required for death of lymphoid CD4 T cells abortively infected with HIV. Science 343:428-432, 2014. PMCID: PMC3976200
- Galloway NLK, Doitsh G, Monroe KM, Yang Z, Munoz-Arias I, Levy DN, and Greene WC. Cell-to- cell transmission of HIV is required to trigger pyroptotic death of lymphoid tissue-derived CD4 T cells. Cell Reports 12:1555–1563, 2015. PMCID: PMC456573