Topics of Professional Interest:
- Metabolic complications of HIV and therapy
- Antiretroviral therapy
- Complications of HIV therapy
- Fungal infections
- Infectious diseases treatment and prevention
Current Professional Summary:
Dr Powderly is Professor of Medicine and Therapeutics at Mater University Hospital in Dublin, Ireland.
Committees and Organizations:
- Chair, AIDS Committee, Infectious Diseases Society of America (2000–)
- Member, Executive Committee, AIDS Clinical Trials Group
- Member, OI Guidelines Committee, US Public Health Service/IASA
- Metabolic Complications Guidelines Panel, IAS–USA
Honors and Awards:
- Best Doctors in America (1999–2000)
- First Aide Award, St Louis Effort for AIDS (1999)
- University College, Dublin, Ireland, MD (1979)
- St Vincents Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, Residency in Internal Medicine (1979–1982)
- Washington University, St Louis, Fellowship in Infectious Diseases (1983–1987)
- Tebas P, Kane E, Patick A, Klebert M, Simpson J, Powderly WG, Henry K. Virologic responses to a ritonavir/saquinavir containing regimen in patients who have previously failed nelfinavir. AIDS. 1999;13:F23-F28.
- Yarasheski KE, Tebas P, Sigmund CM, Dagogo-Jack S, Turk J, Cryer P, Powderly WG. Insulin resistance in HIV-1 protease inhibitor-associated diabetes. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr Hum Retroviruses.1999;21:209-216.
- Powderly WG. The interaction of opportunistic infections and HIV replication. AIDS. 1999;13:1603-1606.
- Powderly WG, Saag MS, Chapman S, Yu G, Quart B, Clendennin NJ. Predictors of optimal virologic response to potent antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 1999;13:1873-1880.
- Graybill JR, Sobel J, Saag M, Vander Horst C, Powderly W, Cloud G, Riser R, Hamill R, Dismukes W. Diagnosis and management of increased intracranial pressure in patients with AIDS and cryptococcal meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:47-54.
- Tebas P, Powderly WG, Laxton S, Marin D, Tantiserwat W, Teitelbaum S, Yaresheski K. Accelerated bone loss in HIV positive patients receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2000;14:F63-F67.
- Saag MS, Graybill JR, Larsen RA, Pappas PG, Perfect JR, Powderly WG, Sobel JD, Dismukes WE. Practice guidelines for the management of cryptococcal meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:710-718.
- Fichtenbaum CJ, Koletar S, Yiannoutsos C, Holland F, Pottage J, Cohn SE, Walawandar, Frame P, Feinberg J, Saag MS, van der Horst C, Powderly WG, the ACTG Study 816 team. Refractory mucosal candidiasis in advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30:749-756.
- Arribas J, Hernández-Albujar S, González-García JJ, Peña JM, Gonzalez A, Cañedo T, Madero R, Vazquez JJ, Powderly WG. Impact of protease inhibitor therapy on HIV-related oropharyngeal candidiasis. AIDS. 2000;14:979-986.
- Powderly WG. HIV prophylaxis in an era of effective antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:597-601.