On-Demand: HIV 101: Fundamentals of HIV Infection and Applications of Antiretroviral Therapy
On-Demand Webinar: HIV 101: Fundamentals of HIV Infection and Applications of Antiretroviral Therapy
Rajesh T. Gandhi, MD, and Michael S. Saag, MD
Release date: June 30, 2020
Expiration date: June 30, 2021
CME Credit Available: 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Assessment of Needs
The IAS–USA offers this introductory activity on the evolving challenges of managing HIV disease as part of a nationwide continuing medical education (CME) effort for physicians. This webinar is designed for HIV or infectious disease fellows, residents, and practitioners who are new to the field of HIV research and management. It will describe the core principles of HIV management, including epidemiology, mechanisms of action of existing drugs, initial antiretroviral regimens, and drug resistance. This webinar will also be useful to experienced clinicians who seek a review of these core principles.
On completion of this webinar, learners will be able to:
- Summarize events of early HIV infection
- List the sequence of laboratory markers following HIV acquisition
- Describe basic mechanisms of antiretroviral therapy
- Select antiretroviral therapy in patients who:
- Are starting initial therapy
- Have persistently low-level viremia
- Are pregnant or considering pregnancy
- Are experiencing virologic failure / resistance
Note: The IAS–USA acknowledges the importance of delivering the same high-quality education and resources to our audiences despite the challenging times we are experiencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, the implementation of a nominal fee to process the claim of CME and CE credits for webinars has been postponed.
Who Should Attend
This webinar is designed for clinical decision makers who are new to or actively involved in HIV care and research. It is also relevant for registered nurses, PharmDs, and other health professionals.
Individual registration is required, even if you are viewing as a group, in order to receive CME credit or a certificate of participation.
Please note: if you already have participated on the live webinar and have received CME credits, you will not receive additional credits from this activity.
Conflicts of Interest
In the interest of maintaining the independence of its CME activities, and in accordance with the policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the IAS–USA requires all persons with control of content (eg, faculty, IAS–USA Board members, and program staff) to disclose any financial relationships that they or their spouses or partners have had with commercial companies within the past 12 months. Any real or apparent conflicts of interest of those parties are resolved prior to the CME activity being delivered. Individuals who refuse to disclose financial interests may not participate in an IAS–USA CME activity.
The ACCME defines a commercial interest as “any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients. The ACCME does not consider providers of clinical service directly to patients to be commercial interests – unless the provider of clinical service is owned, or controlled by, an ACCME-defined commercial interest.”
Continuing Education Credits
The International Antiviral Society–USA (IAS–USA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The IAS–USA designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity is part of the IAS–USA national educational effort that is funded, in part, by charitable contributions from commercial companies. Per IAS–USA policy, any effort that uses commercial grants must receive grants from several companies with competing products. Funds are pooled and distributed to activities at the sole discretion of the IAS–USA. Grantors have no input into any activity, including its content, development, or selection of topics or speakers. Generous support for this activity has been received from the following contributors.
Gilead Sciences, Inc
Merck & Co, Inc
Frequently Asked Questions
View our list of FAQs about attending a webinar.
Please contact the registration department at registration“at”iasusa.org or 415-544-9400.
How to Claim Credit
- Start the Activity by clicking "START COURSE" located above.
Please note that the "START COURSE" will no longer be visible once you clicked it once.
- Watch the webinar here.
- Return to this page and follow this link to the evaluation form.
- Once you complete the evaluation, you will be directed to the online claim form, where you will record the number of hours that you participated in this activity. You must be logged in to your IAS–USA profile to claim credit. Please note: if you already have participated on the live webinar and have received CME credits, you will not receive additional credits from this activity.
- Your certificate will be available for you to print from your IAS–USA account immediately after you have submitted your claim form. To view your certificates, go to "My Activities" under your profile.